HRC215 bent crank!

TerraForte

Threads
I found this older Honda commercial, HRC215 and jumped on it.
It was for sale cheap, looked dang good in pictures, and the seller said everything worked.

"No funny vibrations, right?"
'It has a very slight buzz because it's older. You won't even notice it!'
Hmmm....

Well, he's wrong, because I notice/feel just about everything whether I want to or not.

I get there, and the mower is ridiculously clean for a 20+ year old commercial unit. All the stickers are nearly perfect, the deck is really nice. The tread on the tires is super deep.
It starts on the first pull and has a pretty obnoxious vibration. I flip it up, and the blade is mangled. Someone sharpened the blade until it looked like a banana. And it was one of them gator blades.
Hmm...

I order a new blade, slap it on, absolutely zero change in the vibration.
Then I look more closely and see the crankshaft is most definitely bent.

Hmm...

I tried to replace the motor on a HRC216HXA. Pretty much impossible. Even though the motor is a Honda GXV160 (on those mowers), the oil pan is different for the shaft drive, so you can't just pull a motor off a pressure washer and slap it on. Additionally, the modified oil pan doesn't swap over. The block is different as well.
Apparently this HRC215 uses an older GXV140, and I don't even know where to start.

• Bend the crank back? With a long pipe?
  • Replace crank shaft?
  • Buy new motor somehow?
  • Trash the mower?

HRC215 2-speed gearbox, not hydrostatic. Pulls like a tank.

rleVGjxh.jpg

SxLYOaJh.jpg

M5LZlxAh.jpg

lYU45rQh.jpg

kLLs4LEh.jpg

AeISBPuh.jpg

gVDIHDih.jpg

Attachments

• rleVGjxl.jpg
    rleVGjxl.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 4

MowLife

Threads
You can bend it back as close as you can....it’s nearly impossible to get it perfect without a crankshaft straightener. Use a short pipe and a hammer is the best way.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That crank should still be available and that mower is worth the effort of putting a new crank in because it will probably run for another 30 years.
it predates the idiot moron extra lean burn regulations that wear out engines in 3 to 5 years .
Hammering on the crank will damage the cases.
The other way is to pull the crank then get it pressed strait so it runs true.
It does not take much of a bent to cause sufficient vibrations to cause oil to leak past the bottom seal then BANG.