Stator B&S 392595 troubles

Threads
Hi all.

Couldn't find my question via search, so I thought I give it a go in this thread.

Case:
Toro 57400 not charging the battery. After removing the battery and charge it with a Ctek charger the battery did not hold any charge, so I assumed the battery was broken. Bought a replacement and fit it in the Toro, all good...I thought. Got another Toro, and this 57400 ended up parked for a while.

Now we are moving to another location, and this 57400 became surplus. Working on it a little bit to get it going again, and struggled again with the battery not charging after Ctek charge. This was weird, since the battery was only couple years old.

As it happens with a parked machine and loosing the touch, got some trouble getting it started at all. One main issue was the main fuse constantly burning through, after some fault finding I found the output wire from the stator having an open connection with the ground. So, it short circuited itself somewhere. After removing the flywheel, I found no optical damage to the stator. However, I did measure 0 Ohm resistance between the output wire and the frame, but after removing and installing the stator this became infinite resistance.

Then I disconnected the stator for the time being to get the engine running again. That worked out, and with the Briggs and Stratton guide did some measure @ full speed (assume around 3600 rpm). I measured 5 volt AC coming from the single stator wire. This seems on the low side, but also put a close eye on the diode-bridge and after some measuring around, I found 1 of the 2 Motorola MR754 diodes to have bridged as I measure 0 ohm over 1 of the 2 diodes. This probably explains the quick degradation of the battery as it was fed with AC power.

Now my questions:
1: How much voltage should the stator produce AC? B&S is not clear in this, but I assume 24 ~ 30 Volt AC?
2: Reinstalling the stator resolved the short, but I did not find any optical damage to the coils, however 5 volt AC also makes me assume something is wrong. As the machine will go up for sale, I'm a little bit hesitant to install a new stator for 60 bucks as the resale value will not go up from it at all. Anyone have experience repairing a stator/finding out why I only have 5 volt AC?
3: Anyone know about those Motorola's to blow? Any tips?

Kind regards, Willem