New Velocity Plus 72" Setup

lasakro

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,

I'm new here, first post, so hi folks. I picked up a new, leftover, 2018 Cheetah and the deck is confusing me a bit. Also my first suspended deck. The manual states that the deck should have no pitch where I've read here on this forum people always have the rear slightly higher than the front. So how should I set this one up?

The anti-scalp wheel positions don't make since to me. The front have 2 height adjustments and the rear have 3, why? With the deck at zero pitch the front and rear wheel heights don't match up. It's like they are a one hole off from each other. Should the rear always run slightly higher than the front? Thanks.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I can't tell you FOR SURE on the 72". I have much experience on 52" Velocity decks though. Was running 4 Tiger Cats before I down sized.

In the South where I live we cut enormous amounts of Bahia Grass. It is a beast to cut and the Velocity deck cuts it better than anything I have seen.

I set mine up with no less than 1/8" and nor more than 1/4" pitch to the front to cut Bahia which is primarily all we cut in the summer. The cut is excellent. I honestly don't think it stripes as well however as it will level.

On the 52" decks the scape wheels are fixed so I can't help you on adjustments on them but I would set mine up where they were slightly lower than the edge of the deck.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Generally a better cut is achieved when the rear deck height is slightly higher than the front and the ability of the deck to discharge clippings is increased.
On a Cheetah, as is with most ZTRs with mid mount mower decks, the deck hangs from the machine frame and follows the
machine attitude. This causes problems as the ground irregularities under the deck while mowing are not always followed by the machine and this is when scalping occurs. The wider the mowing deck the more likely scalping will occur.
On the 72" deck, Scag has installed adjustable anti scalp rollers both front and rear so you the operator can adjust these rollers to minimize turf damage for your specific turf irregularities.
A secondary purpose of the anti scalp rollers is to minimize damage to the deck and blades from ground contact.
With a 72" deck, replacing the blades and correctly torquing the blade bolt nuts is going to be a 2 person job.
I maintain the machines for a local cemetery and I had to lower the anti scalp rollers to reduce blade damage. This adjustment had no affect on the cut quality, but reduced blade change intervals significantly.