Repairs Dixon ram 52 zt

hittleconstruction

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all,

I have a dixon ram 52 zt that has been working great. I used it for about 5 minutes. I went to start it to put it away. It started the died like a safety switch had been tripped. Now when you try to start it nothing happen like a safety switch is tripped. I have checked all the switchs with multimeter and seem to be ok. The ignition switch seems off but not sure about some of the findings.

I have tried to jumper the Starter silinoid with ignition in the on position, and it still not start. Just turns over.

Any help would be much appreaticated

Shawn

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If it will not crank then one of the cranking switches is bad, or the wiring between them is bad.
Check the solenoid by jumping from the battery cable to the trigger on the solenoid.
If the engine spins then the solenoid is good.

If you get nothing at all then a fuse is blown

hittleconstruction

Forum Newbie
Threads
If it will not crank then one of the cranking switches is bad, or the wiring between them is bad.
Check the solenoid by jumping from the battery cable to the trigger on the solenoid.

I jumped between terminals on solenoid and the motor turns over. I had the key in the on position. Again turns over but will not start

I checked the two fuses. They were good.

Thanks
Shawn

hittleconstruction

Forum Newbie
Threads

UPDATE Monday 10am - I removed the switch from wiring harness. Added a temparary hot wire from the battery. Probed the open end of wires from where switch was. Found that if I put power to the Solenoid on the bottom of carb. then power to the Starter ingage wire. It turns over and will continue to run. Hmmm

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Give the fuse holders a swim in cleaning fluid then pull & push the fuses in & out to clean the contacts.
The power to the carb solenoid will come off the A terminal on the key switch ( there are tiny letters on the back of the switch )
Very rare for that part of the switch to go bad.
You should get 12V at the A ( might be more than 1 of them ) terminal when the ignition is on.
There should be 12V at the B terminal all the time
And 12V to the S terminal when the key is in the start position.

hittleconstruction

Forum Newbie
Threads
Give the fuse holders a swim in cleaning fluid then pull & push the fuses in & out to clean the contacts.
The power to the carb solenoid will come off the A terminal on the key switch ( there are tiny letters on the back of the switch )
Very rare for that part of the switch to go bad.
You should get 12V at the A ( might be more than 1 of them ) terminal when the ignition is on.
There should be 12V at the B terminal all the time
And 12V to the S terminal when the key is in the start position.

Thanks for all your help. I turned out to be one of the fuses wasnt making contact on one leg. It was clean enouph, and fuse wasnt blown. But i noticed a little bit of arcing on one leg. Cleaned it up. put some diaelectric grease on it. And all is good. Thanks for all you help

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well done.
Nothing we like more than to hear of a successful outcome.