Cub Cadet Leaking oil from valve cover

mharrison

Forum Newbie
Threads
Engine: KT735
I found the valve cover online but the parts diagram shows an gasket/o-ring but does not list a part that is able to be selected.
The official manual parts diagram doesn't show it so I'm confused on if I can just replace the valve cover (with new bolts) or if I need to find the right part elsewhere.....both jacksmallengine and a few other sites do not have the gasket when I look up the engine so I'm wondering if the covers now come with some sort of gasket to seal when placed on the valve. Any help would be appreciated...can't afford to keep adding oil.

MowLife

Threads
It should take a gasket not a 0 ring. Have you pulled the cover yet? You can always use rtv or similar gasket sealer. Also make sure you crankcase breather is working...the valve cover is usually the first place to leak if the pressure builds up.

mharrison

Forum Newbie
Threads
I pulled the cover when I was changing the oil and the gasket was in bad shape so I didn't even check the breather. Just got the mower as a hand-me-down so I'm familiarizing myself with it. I'll order the new covers and just use RTV and see if it still leaks and if so then I'll tackle the breather.

MowLife

Threads
I tried to look up your gasket also. Like you said it shows it in the diagrams but not in descriptions...strange. Anyway it would be a easy gasket to make...gasket materials are available at any auto parts store or even a cereal box will work along with a sealant.

mharrison

Forum Newbie
Threads
So I did some more digging and it looks like the newer models do come with a rubber grommet but a lot of people are saying just to use RTV around the cover and that should seal it..apparently Kohler changed the part...I don't know but I'm going to pull the cover again and clean it and see if I actually need to replace it or if I can just reseal it.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Stamped steel rocker covers use RTV sealant.

mharrison

Forum Newbie
Threads
Stamped steel rocker covers use RTV sealant.

Good to know! Thanks for the info. Ordered the new covers and bolts and I'll pick some RTV up at the store tomorrow so I'm ready for when they arrive.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I tried to look up your gasket also. Like you said it shows it in the diagrams but not in descriptions...strange. Anyway it would be a easy gasket to make...gasket materials are available at any auto parts store or even a cereal box will work along with a sealant.

Kohler uses composite drawings in the IPL's but if a part isn't listed in the parts list that means that it wasn't used on that particular specification number engine.