Mower slows down

rigoletto

Threads
People,

MTD mower, 1998, 13 HP tecumseh engine. Mows well, except when mower travels up a slight hill, it slows down until the ground levels off again, after which it picks up velocity again. Engine rpm's do not seem to change. Is it a slipping belt? If so, know which one?

Thanks, people.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Could be the belt but we need a little more information
Like the numbers from the tag under the seat.
When you find them search partstree using the model number .

MowLife

Threads
I would think belts are slipping. Most if not all MTD’s use a variable drive system with 2 drive belts.

rigoletto

Threads
Thanks. I will get back to yous asap on this.

rigoletto

Threads
Sorry for delay in replying. Model # is 13A4667 F118. Havnt fixed it yet. Belts are not that old. 1 or 2 are less than 1 yr. But if they are slipping are they tightened by the levers/springs system down there?

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
When traveling up the incline and the ground speed slows, turn the ignition switch to off without touching anything else. Get off the tractor and check the slack in the 2 belts of the variable speed system. The slack should be equal or nearly equal. Report back and tell us which one is loose.

MowLife

Threads
When traveling up the incline and the ground speed slows, turn the ignition switch to off without touching anything else. Get off the tractor and check the slack in the 2 belts of the variable speed system. The slack should be equal or nearly equal. Report back and tell us which one is loose.

That’s good advice, I never thought of that. I learn something new all the time here.

rigoletto

Threads
Ok, will try that, Senior. Next mow, will be tomorrow if it doesnt rain.......

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Also make certain it isn't just the wheels spinning some from loss of traction on the slope.

rigoletto

Threads
I was prepared to do that while mowing, but just before mowing I noticed the deck was packed full of debris. I cleaned it all up. Then started mowing. It moved up those slopes easily. I think we figured it out, people. I never would have thought. But otherwise, that was a good tip to beware of. Thanks, people.