Should I Run It Up?

Rob89

Threads
Hey guys. It’s been 3 weeks since I’ve run my Bobcat CRZ. I was going to mow today but my 3 year old is currently hospitalized so I have more important priorities at the moment. It will easily be another week until I will have the chance to mow. Would it be beneficial to start it up and let it run in the shed for 5 minutes so that the carburetor doesn’t start to gum up? The gas that’s currently in the tank is about a month old and has no stabilizer in it if that makes any difference. Just don’t want to do unnecessary harm to my new mower while I’m unable to use it.

Thanks!

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
I wouldn't worry about it, should be fine. Might top off the tank(s) if you have a spare minute. Hope everything turns out OK with your young'n.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Your mower will be fine. Your 3 year old is what matters.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Russ2251

Threads
The subject of "old" gasoline comes up often.
I have an old Tecumseh powered CRAFTSMAN (143.404502 or TVS90-43504F) which I purposely left unused (as an experiment) for over 2 years with half a tank of gas.
Started on 2nd attempt after hitting primer bulb 6-8 times.

I use no additives and use locally purchased regular gas that contains ethanol.
Why is my experience different from what I have been told to expect?

The Chairman

Threads
6 months or more and I would worry. Just starting it and keeping the same ol' gas will do nothing.

Rob89

Threads
Thanks for the responses and well wishes. My little one is doing well- I’m spending the night with him tonight and I’m hoping we get discharged tomorrow.

My concern wasn’t necessarily the gas getting old (I too have run equipment on 1-2 year old gas) so much as starting to gum up the carburetor from the inactivity.

Russ2251

Threads
Gumming up is the result of allowing the fuel to evaporate within the system... leaving behind a gummy residue.