John Deere 185 blowing blue smoke after 3 minute warmup

Rockfarmer

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / John Deere 185 blowing blue smoke after 3 minute warmup
Hi! I love the 100 series mowers! I recently rebuilt a 185 540 because of the blue smoke after warmup. Everything (rings) were withing tolerances but I replaced the oil rings just in case. I reground the valves, set the lash, new head gasket (old one was fine). Carb is clean, new air filter, mower runs great. After 3 minute warmup massive blue smoke and spitting oil out the muffler. Im stumped!!! Any advice? Thanks!!!!

I also noticed quite a bit of oil in the valve cover gasket when I pulled it to do the valves, maybe 5 tablespoons?

Last edited:

TerraForte

Threads
if liquid oil is coming out of the muffler while it's on, you have a large internal oil leak.

Rusty516

Threads
Make sure you don't have to much oil in it. Usually when its coming out the muffler its got to much fluid. It could also be gas in your oil, if your carb float was hung open, it will fill the cylinder and run past the piston into the crankcase

Rockfarmer

Forum Newbie
Threads
The nice thing about these models is the gas goes through fuel pump to carb so when engine is not running gas cannot flow into the crankcase. The motor just had fresh oil change after the rebuild to proper amount. I was also thinking maybe something had a hairline crack that opens up when engine warms up. ( Hoping it was something common that I missed in the rebuild and an easy fix, lol). Thanks!

Rusty516

Threads
Make sure your crankcase is venting. Not real sure about your particular engine, but all engines must vent pressure. I have found crushed vent tubes, Dirt Dobbers will build their nests in tubes. I don't think you have a big problem, its something simple :confused2:

Rockfarmer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Nice , I like that!!! I’ll investigate, thanks!!!!

Rusty516

Threads
Let me know if you find something