Kohler Courage 18 Single cylinder backfiring

jhatfield805

Forum Newbie
Threads
Model SV540S - I am repairing an engine that had electrical issues and have straightened that situation out. Now, when the engine is cranking, it backfires. The first item checked was carburator because the plug was fouled, float bowl appears to work properly. With fuel solenoid disconnected, I crank the engine with plug out to flush cylinder out. Then will spray just a moment of starting fluid through carb and it still backfired. So I figured it was timing. I removed the flywheel in hopes the keyway slipped but it was in the proper position. I checked compression and it was about 190 psi which I thought was actually pretty high for a small engine. Coil has super strong spark and I removed the kill switch wire for testing with no difference. That is why I came here; I looked up what was the typical culprits to no avail. If the cam is gear driven is it even possible it could become out of time? Wouldn't that affect the compression? Stuck valve? 180 out?

The original problem was starter had solenoid stuck on and fried it. Don't see how it could be related but also it must be something. I ordered a new coil because the impedance was 9.5K and internet said it should be between 2K - 5K?