which is the right belt?

1stcoop

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2006 MTD Yard Machine that I purchased from Home Depot in 2007. Model #13AN601H729 with 46" deck.
The lower drive belt needed replacement so I shopped a number of sites and part #954-0467A 5/8"x 91" was the popular choice.
I purchased the belt and installed, however the ride is terrible as it like riding a bronco bucking and surging and sometime squealing.
I have checked and double checked the diagrams to confirm that I have correctly installed.
The part number on the mower is 754-0467A that has apparently changed to 954.
I have since learned through research that depending on where you are shopping this belt it will be called out as either 5/8"x 91" or
5/8"x 90-1/2". Same part number!
Could it be that I need the belt that is 1/2" shorter? I am not ready to give up on this machine as it has been very reliable otherwise.
I also don't want to purchase another belt, go through the installation procedure once again unless I am sure I have the right belt on
my next purchase.
Can anyone advise me?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The reason that they call them different lengths is because none of the non OEM belts are the correct length, wide, or cut angle. Also the IPL shows two belts for your drive system. If they are not changed at the same time they will cause drive issues. The 954-0467 and 954-0468 have to replaced as a pair. The difference between the 754 and the 954 is the 754 is a loose belt, whereas the 954 is in a display sleeve.

1stcoop

Forum Newbie
Threads
The reason that they call them different lengths is because none of the non OEM belts are the correct length, wide, or cut angle. Also the IPL shows two belts for your drive system. If they are not changed at the same time they will cause drive issues. The 954-0467 and 954-0468 have to replaced as a pair. The difference between the 754 and the 954 is the 754 is a loose belt, whereas the 954 is in a display sleeve.

Thank you. I'll take that under advisement. Just a note. I measured the original belt and it was 90-1/2" It was working perfectly fine, but as I was performing my
annual spring maintenance, I observed many major cracks in it so instead of waiting for it to snap, I replaced it. I have read several times now that the advice is
to replace both, even though the upper belt on mine appears to be in fine condition.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No ones eye can tell whether the belt is worn. The angle may be worn, thickness changed, pulley wear, all contributes to when and why to change belts. This doubles when you have a dual belt variable speed system and why they want you to change both at the same time.

1stcoop

Forum Newbie
Threads
No ones eye can tell whether the belt is worn. The angle may be worn, thickness changed, pulley wear, all contributes to when and why to change belts. This doubles when you have a dual belt variable speed system and why they want you to change both at the same time.

I truly appreciate your input.
I have found a set on amazon. Price seams cheap. 7 reviews are good.

NEW MTD PRIMARY & SECONDARY DRIVE BELTS, 954-0468, 754-0468, 954-0467, 754-0467
Only $22.94 for both Seams cheap?
I don't mind if these belts don't last as long as the originals, as long as they last until it's time to replace the entire machine.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If something seems too cheap to be true,, then it is.
Check the add & you will see the word "unbranded"
Unbranded = so bad the original ordering company would not alloy their name to be printed on them
Unbranded = so bad the manufacturer is scared to put their name on them.

In Amazon / Ebay
OEM = comes from the same factory that may at one time have been a supplier to the company the items are supposed to fit.
Fits = will occupy the same space

Neither of them mean that the parts are good or will even work.
In most cases the item was rejected by the original orderer , sold as scrap then resold as "OEM or Fitting ".

The variable drive pulley is very expensive and there is no after market alternative.
Do you feel lucky ?

After market companies who sell quality parts that work properly will brand the parts.
Stens , Oregon, Prime Line & Rotary all sell OEM Specification belts at a lower price than factory belts.
Their wholesale belts to me are more expensive than that set of belts on Amazon

So unless you believe the seller is Santa Clause and the belts are being made from fairy dust by pixies give them a wide berth.
Rubbish belts will usually work so people get them, put them on & leave good feedback.
In 2 months time when the belts fall apart, they can not go back & change it.
Some even will leave A+ fedback when they open the package and the belts look the same as the ones they took off.

1stcoop

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well, buyer be ware. Interesting info regarding what to look for when shopping these belts.
I did review the ad and saw nowhere did it say "unbranded", but your point it still well taken.

I have had this rider for 12 years now and I have taken very good care of it. Light duty mowing and always garaged.
My intention is to get a couple more years perhaps before I replace it with a whole new machine. At this point it owes me
nothing and I am not willing to continue to replace parts as likely more issues are no doubt ahead of me given it's age.

Thank you for your input. This is exactly why I have joined this forum.