kawasaki kf82dx stator

summerlane

Forum Newbie
Threads
looking for a good used stator for my 1987 AMT Gator and cannot get it to start. It will turn over but will not fire. I have no spark at the plug

MowLife

Threads
Are you referring to a coil module? Stator controls your charging of the battery.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And what is KF 82DX , the engine model number because Kawasaki do not recognise it.

If this is a magneto engine then pull the kill wire from the magneto and see if you have spark when cranking.

summerlane

Forum Newbie
Threads
And what is KF 82DX , the engine model number because Kawasaki do not recognise it.

If this is a magneto engine then pull the kill wire from the magneto and see if you have spark when cranking.

KF82dx is the number on the Kawasaki 8.5 Hp engine plate

summerlane

Forum Newbie
Threads

did that, still no spark

NorthBama

Threads
seems to be two post going on this issue

summerlane

Forum Newbie
Threads
seems to be two post going on this issue

I understand that the stator on the Kawasaki kf82dx is primarily responsible for the charging of the battery but after reading thousands of comments it seems to have a direct influence on the running of the engine via the cranking module and circuitry......the stator has five wires coming from it. two (yellow) go to and from the rectifier/regulator and the brown, white, and red are also connected to the stator for ground, and pulser coil. I have a ohm reading on yellow wires and assume that the windings are OK on the stator but nothing on the red and brown one and still no spark at the plug. New main coil also installed. There is no continuity reading on the red wire that is supposed to be the power source. Now after all of this, I can deal with the stator as it relates to charging later even if I have to keep a charger on the battery. I simply want to get spark to the plug and crank the unit. Anyone ???

NorthBama

Threads
Its been 4 years since i worked on the little kawi in the old gator so my memory is a little foggy haha. I do remember the module needs 12 volts power when the key is on. It also has a kill wire to disable spark when key switch is off. The pulse coil charges the capacitors inside the module and best i remember there is a small magnet for top compression stroke to fire the spark. I would make sure power is applied to module and kill wire is not grounded. also a good battery is required to spin the engine fast.

Last edited:

summerlane

Forum Newbie
Threads
Its been 4 years since i worked on the little kawi in the old gator so my memory is a little foggy haha. I do remember the module needs 12 volts power when the key is on. It also has a kill wire to disable spark when key switch is off. The pulse coil charges the capacitors inside the module and best i remember there is a small magnet for top compression stroke to fire the spark. I would make sure power is applied to module and kill wire is not grounded. also a good battery is required to spin the engine fast.

Thank you very much for responding. Got a new, good, battery. lights and bed hydraulics working fine electrically. understand the kill wire and switch. tried it unplugged. nothing. I could not get a ohm reading on the red wire on the stator; is this a problem that would affect spark? checked ign coil separately and it ohms out perfect. I can eliminate this as an part. Located the pick up button mag on the stator, it looks fine. put everything back together this morning and still no spark at plug??????????????????? Can you explain how the stator (used for charging battery) is connected to the spark to the plug. this doesn't make any sense. does the voltage have to run through the stator before it flows to the coil??? As you can see I am at my wits end on this beast. I have a good understanding of wiring and have wired many cars, some from scratch, but this system is starting to cause hair loss. I even ordered the full 200 or so pages of the service and diagnostic manual.
thanks again and hope you can steer me in the right direction.
summerlane

NorthBama

Threads
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yK3Opq_i0M
watch video explains how the system works
the charging coil for the battery is separate from the ignition capacitor charging coil. I would also make sure there is a good ground for the ignition module.

Last edited: