SW36-13KH Issue

Hubturn

Forum Newbie
Threads
Greetings! I've had this Scag for 22 years and bought it from a small yard business. Obviously a walk behind using differential braking for turning. Had to replace every safety switch when I got it and the guy didn't know what a grease gun was for. Spindle bearings, etc were shot. It's been a great mower for me once I rehabed it. Here's the issue. The brake levers (technically steering levers per the parts diagram) and the latches all ride on bolts that go through holes in the handle assembly. The holes have elongated and the levers flop around a bit. Why this was designed without bushings is unknown. I'm not in the mood to buy a new handle assembly for over $300. Anybody have a better fix than shrinking the holes by welding in some metal and drilling out new holes? There's risk in that in terms of not getting the holes aligned to the steering rods and handle. Not much room for drilling out a larger hole and installing bushing either. They would have to be thin where they fit between the lever attach points. Looking forward to what you all have to say. I can't be the first guy that has experienced this. Thanks in advance.

TheVirginian

Threads
Would still have issue of hole alignment needing to be precise but is there a "break" in that handle assembly anywhere that a "sleeve" of metal could be slid over the holes and welded to reinforce and drill out for the brake levers?

Last edited:

Hubturn

Forum Newbie
Threads
No real break other than you can remove the handle assembly from the Handle Mounting Frame. But you have got me thinking about sliding a piece of pipe inside the handle tube.