PYT-9000 with 26hp B&S professional series

TheVirginian

Threads
Ok, where to begin? LOL.......this "Craftsman Professional series" PYT9000 i've had since 2009 when we bought it brand new. Last summer, the left spindle (has 3, 50" cut) seized and sheared off some of it's housing (still bolted to deck but blade flopping). I get three new spindles this week and go at it this morning replacing them. It's been since last year since it ran so i drained the gas and blew out tank and line, took off and cleaned air filter (it, and oil had just been replaced 2 cuts before spindle failed last year) for good measure, of course checked all fluids. Put about 2 cups of fuel in tank, in case it didn't start, or didn't run right i wouldn't waste/taint much fuel. It bumped, then it bumped, then it fired RIGHT UP and ran strong for about 10 seconds til it burned up that fuel and cut off. I thought WOOHOOO!!! i'm ready to rock! but no, there you go thinking Dave...........lol. I put gas in it, climb back on the seat and turn the ignition and i have NOTHING!!!!! no lights, oil light, hour meter, NOTHING!!!! Checked battery and it's sitting at about 13.4 not running so i know it's good. Did the ignition switch burn up (given i don't even have dummy lights or headlights)????? This ol redneck is about to start throwing things.....LOL. I wouldn't even BE tooling with this Craftsman if the Scag i got taken for........would work properly. So now i've got TWO dead mowers and some tall grass waiting for i guess some goats i'll go get this friggin' week....... Any help would be much appreciated. I am mechanically inclined but honestly i'm not sure of pin config on that ignition switch to know which wires should have juice with switch on/off, etc without the proper wiring diagram for that motor/electrical system.

Romore

Threads
It started the first time so can't be too much wrong. Check for loose or corroded battery connections as well as at the solenoid and ground.

TheVirginian

Threads
Yeah that's what i was thinking too but i won't lie i'm a little baffled by it. How it started and ran fine til i got up, put gas in and sat back down then NOTHING at ALL. I cleaned battery terminals too, i forgot to mention that so i know at THAT end they are conducting well. I will try to trace where the negative goes to the frame and check that and the negative cable along the way for tears/breaks. The fact i get NOTHING though to ignition switch makes me wonder if that didn't burn up. I mean normally like an automobile when you turn to accessory position before it actually turns over, you get the oil light, hour meter light, headlights, etc and i have NOTHING now.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
your fuse is blown
Find the starting solenoid.
On the battery cable side will e a single small wire .
That wire goes to the BATTERY terminal on the ignition switch , funny enough marked with the letter "B".
There is a fuse on that wire.
If it blows you have no power to the mower so nothing works apart from the PTO clutch if it is on it's own fuse.

TheVirginian

Threads
I'll have to wait til morning to get "good" pics but i'm pretty certain there ISN"T a fuse..... the manual says it's "under the hood, at top of dash panel on the support bar"..........nope, it's not. Other forums/and some here in another thread said it could be back in the battery box area under seat.....nope, it's not. The positive cable comes off the battery and goes to some type of module on the inside of the back of frame. Coincidentally, the ground cable goes from battery and grounds against frame on one of the two bolts that hold that "module" to the frame. I followed every bit of harness from there forward, into the engine compartment and up under the dash panel..........i cannot find a fuse ANYWHERE!!! There is a relay, under the dash panel though. it got way too dark with the flashlight batteries draining and i laid the top of my hand open pulling back from inside that frame opening under the battery box so i'm gonna stop for tonight before sasquatch treeknocks this craftsman so hard it lands 3 counties over........lol

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well the electricity to power that relay has to come from somewhere.
So there has to be a + wire feeding into the loom and that wire has a fuse on it otherwise if you get a short the mower burns.
Some sort of a module ?
most likely the starting solenoid.

TheVirginian

Threads
Ok so starting from battery terminals, pics follow into frame/chassis to solenoid. Red wire leaves solenoid and rejoins main harness. Travels frame under left foot rest and splits below fuel tank and feeds display panel, ignition switch and PTO knob. Other split goes to voltage regulator and headlights. Where is this fuse? "Craft1" pic shows that solenoid and at left you see where negative lead grounds to it and frame. "Craft 7" pic shows that relay under the dash panel i spoke of. I cannot find a fuse anywhere which is totally odd. In "Craft1" or "Craft2" pic, the thing the little red wire comes out of (not Craft3 which shows the red wire's white connectors), that looks like a similar relay as under the dash?

Craft1.jpgCraft2.jpgCraft3.jpgCraft4.jpgCraft5.jpgCraft6.jpgCraft7.jpgCraft8.jpgCraft9.jpgCraft10.jpg

Last edited:

TheVirginian

Threads
UPDATE*** ok, so the "2nd relay" (that i said looked like the one under dash panel) back at the solenoid at back of frame? Yeah, that's an inline fuse. They had so much black tape on it from the factory it looked like a square black relay like the one under dash panel. I peeled tape back and could see the top of the 20A fuse. Continuity tested it in holder and it failed so i pulled it and ohm'd it and it's for sure blown. Thanks for all the help. Sorry i'm such a hardhead, but it DIDN"T look like a fuse and it for SURE, isn't where Craftsman's manual says it is, lol. Heading out to reattach battery and see if i'm good to go now.

TheVirginian

Threads
LOL........yeah, started right up, ran strong, engaged blades, went up my hill (will say drive belt smoked a little initially as it climbed but then seemed fine). Got a pass up the hill, a pass down the hill, went back up the hill, mowed around HVAC and another obstacle and then blades shut off............ Tried to engage them again and get a "click" when you pull the knob out but no turny turny....... I'd settle for about 1/4 block of c4 and an oil well perforator right about now so i knew it HURT her to the CORE when it blew :wink::laughing: Now to figure this out

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The confusing part is the 9000 series was made by two companies. Part of them were made my MTD which is the version that your have, and the others were made by Husqvarna. The MTD fuse is next to the battery under the seat as your found. The Husqvarna version is under the dash clipped to the upright on the right side.