NGK Spark Plugs. Recent quality

nbpt100

Threads
I have read a post on another small engine message board were several shop owners have had negative experiences using NGK spark plugs. They have been seeing early failures.

I don't use a lot of them to really say, but my experience has been fine.

Can any repair techs or shop owners comment on recent experiences? Was there a known problem with defective plugs going into the field? Perhaps this is a very local and isolated problem. I don't know but I am very curious to learn about folks experiences. Good, bad or indifferent. If you have seen issues note where you are located. Thanks.

MowLife

Threads
Not a shop owner but use many different mowers commercially. For All my Briggs I use champions and my Kawasaki I use ngk. Kawasaki can use champions also but my fh580v seems to run better on ngk’s.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I've ran NGK in all my engines, never had a problem, just replaced them according to manual specs.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There is no profit in making standard spark plugs and this is reflected in the quality of standard plugs.
Modern fuels can be conducting at cylinder pressures .
NGK does not put a white ( contains lead ) glaze on it's electrodes so if the engine dos not fire & the fuel deposits on the unglazed insulator the plug will go "bad".
The cure is either to burn the deposit off or use another plug to warm up the engine then swap it for the NGK .
You can also pull the plug cap back 1/2" from the seated position, a trick we used in the "old days" to clean up an oil fouled plug and the actual mechanism behind most of those "Spark Intensifiers" that were popular in the 80's & 90's

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
There are certain engines they had a very short life span in 20 years ago, like less than 24 hours. Reminds me of the day I tried champion in a chevy 283 when AC was always suggested. Nearly had to walk home but about 9 mph was faster than walking.

nbpt100

Threads
Thanks for everyone's input. So far no body has seen a quality issues with NGK spark plugs. That is is all I am trying to get at with this thread.

It is possible that a bad lot was made and these shops got it. I don't know I am just trying to see if this is smoke or or a real fire. I have found NGK to be a good plug if used in the right application. If anyone else can confirm this claim of early failures chime in. Thanks!

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
A bad lot of plugs is possible, I got a case of Champion plugs a few years ago that would fail within 5 minutes of installing. I have had a random number of NGK plugs fail shortly after installation but nothing major.

Beamster

Threads
Using them over manufacturer speced Champions in Brit bikes. Vintage bike parts man liked them better and I've had no problems. Frankly I haven't seen a difference either way and never really wore either out or had failures. They were just chaged for tinker sake.

txmowman

Threads
Have never seen a problem with an NGK plug. I work for a distributor and in 30 years, never been a problem. Champion started using copper core, opposed to nickel back in the 80's. So technically, provided the application is similar, Champion should work nearly if not as well as NGK.

jp1961

Threads
Hello,

Spark plugs are like oil,,,everybody has their favorite.

I've been partial to Autolite,,they seems to make a quality plug.

Regards

Jeff