19.5 Briggs threw a rod

Tinkerer200

Threads
Is it worth fixing a long block?

Fixing depends on too many things for a simple answer. First, what is the level of your experience? If you have to hire work done, then no. Often the crankshaft is damaged. Some times the crankshaft can be rehab'd, often not. Did it damage the camshaft? Bearing bosses for the camshaft in block and or sump? Did lt crack the block often behind the starter? How old is the engine? What condition was it in?

Walt Conner

Romore

Threads
What is the model and type number? If the crankshaft and/or block are damaged you might be further ahead installing a complete engine, they are often cheaper than a short block.

Alweeja

Threads
Thanks for all the suggestions. I am going to look for a replacement engine. The people who have looked at the engine think it would cost even more to fix it. The rest of the mower is in good enough condition to try and find a replacement engine.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for all the suggestions. I am going to look for a replacement engine. The people who have looked at the engine think it would cost even more to fix it. The rest of the mower is in good enough condition to try and find a replacement engine.

It wouldn't hurt to take the sump off and do a little research on your bad engine. After you have the replacement in your mower, of course. If you have the space, that is.

Alweeja

Threads
Do you think it is worth fixing? The rest of the mower is in good condition.

MowLife

Threads
Do you think it is worth fixing? The rest of the mower is in good condition.

You have to open it up and see what is damaged. You may get lucky with minimal damage.

Alweeja

Threads
I guess it is worth a look. It certainly can't hurt. Trying to part- it- out would probably be too much of a hassle.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I guess it is worth a look. It certainly can't hurt. Trying to part- it- out would probably be too much of a hassle.

Taking the cam out, if the compression release is still in tact, would be worth it alone.