Best oil/viscosity for 24 hp Husqvarna? Change once yearly?

Alweeja

Threads
  • / Best oil/viscosity for 24 hp Husqvarna? Change once yearly?
Engine....also how often on air filter change? Dino or Synthetic? First oil change in 3 years, which I know is BAD.

deminin

Threads
Engine....also how often on air filter change? Dino or Synthetic? First oil change in 3 years, which I know is BAD.

I have a Yth24v48, and it's doing fine, so far. I use Pennzoil 10w30 and change it, and the oil filter every 50 hours....about once a year. In the Winter, when it sits for a long time, I fire it up and run it for 20 or 30 minutes, until the engine reaches a good operating temperature....which also helps keep the carb from gumming up. Every 2 or 3 cuttings, I clean the air filter....wash the foam "pre filter", and vacuum any dust/dirt off the filter, and the inside of the filter housing....if I mow on a dry day, and kick up a lot of dust, I clean the filter afterwards. IMO, any good quality oil is ok, so long as you follow the owners manual recommendations....and I prefer the 10w30 over a straight weight. Leaving the same oil/filter in for an extended period of time...3 years...can allow moisture to build up in the engine, and cause premature wear.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Best to change the oil at the end of each season.
Viscosity will depend upon the ambient temperature of where you live.

Best time to service you engine full stop is at the end of each season.
Also good idea to pull the blower housing so mice do not take up residence over winter.

Air filter is again the same, buy a couple of foam wraps & keep a clean one on hand so you can swap it when ever it gets too dirty.
This will depend on what you mow & how you mow.

Alweeja

Threads
Thanks for the weight. how about the oil filter. Dino or synthetic?

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
There's no advantage in using synthetic. You end up changing the oil just as often. I'm running 15w-40 NAPA (made by Valvoline) oil in mine. In approx. 30 hours, it hasn't used any.

If you have the non-commercial air filter (an oval filter with foam wrapper) clean the wrapper by blowing it out with compressed air as you see fit. I do it every 10 to 15 hours. Replace the pleated paper filter annually. Try to obtain OEM Kawasaki filters. There are a lot of Chinese knock offs on Amazon and eBay. You don't save much with the knock offs and you have no idea what you're getting.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Running 15w-40 T4 Rotella here, engine is quieter sounding & runs great, haven't added a drop, have about 15 hours on this oil.