HRX217 with "Cruise Control" drive easy to pull backwards?

bill190

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / HRX217 with "Cruise Control" drive easy to pull backwards?
Hello, I really dislike the "Smart Drive" on my HRR mower. The difficulty with the rear wheels locking when pulling backwards is well documented and I'm aware of the various fixes. I'm considering a new mower and would like to know from those that have the HRX217 with the hydro drive "Cruise Control" if it pulls backward easily to maneuver or does it sometimes lock the rear wheels? I've searched the forum but I've not found any post concerning locking rear wheels with the hydro drive so I'm thinking that it doesn't have that problem.

HurstGN

Threads
The wife has a new HRX217 for cutting grass at her father's place. No problems with the Hydrostatic transmission and backing the mower up.
Even my dinosaur HRX217TDA with the 3 speed trans rolls backwards easily.

gotomow

Threads
The HRX217HYA uses the same bushings as the rest of the models so IMHO it would also be susceptible to being hard to pull back. At a lumbering 100lbs operating weight lets hope you have no backing up to do!

bill190

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the reply. I had hoped that there was something different with the HRX rear wheel assembly. I like the power and mulching of the Honda but I guess I'll get a Toro FWD w/Honda engine. I lose nice mulching but gain maneuverability. I have about 110' of ligustrum hedge on property line that I like to push/pull diagonal under and with the Honda it ruts it up enough to look crappy. I'm on flat ground and don't need strong propulsion or RWD either.