Briggs & Stratton model# 331877 issue with oil filter

lee120

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Briggs & Stratton model# 331877 issue with oil filter
Hello,

I have some issue with oil filter thread rod which oil filter screw in. When I placed oil filter that rod broke, forced too much. Is there any way to fix this instead of replacing whole engine or oil sump. Whole block is aluminum. Weld or I can use JB weld or other easy way?
Thank you

Attachments

• 20190609_132945.jpg
    20190609_132945.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 13

Tinkerer200

Threads
Don't think there is any easy fix for that. In 70 years of working with small engines I have never seen that. My first impulse would be to drill and thread the broken off stud. Sump will have to be removed to ensure cuttings are cleaned out. Some people use heavy grease on drill bit and threading tap to capture cuttings, I wouldn't trust that. I don't know what the threads are but an adapter will likely have to be custom machined. Alignment will be critical so filter will seal. JB Weld will NOT hold that.

Walt Conner

Tinkerer200

Threads

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The hole is steel and should thread out,( Gees my English teacher would have liked that sentence ).
IT will be difficult to grab but there should be a very thin hex at its base if it is removable.
Some are locktited in so the sump will need to be warmed to remove it .
The entire sump is not particularly expensive and as previously mentioned you should take it off for cleaning so you are going to up for a new gasket & oil seal in any case.