Buying Advice Wanting a Snapper, need pushed over the edge!

CFD3Capt

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all! Glad I found this place! It seems there is a good bit of discussion, albeit mixed etc......Still, I love forums but never imagined I would be posting in one for lawn mowers:laughing:

Anyhow, as the title says. I just moved, bought a new house and its in a nicer area and has a nicer yard than my previous. I decided it was time to ditch my 10 year old Toro Recycler and get something that will help me have the best yard on the block. The Toro has been a fairly decent mower. Only issues were with its cheap plastic drive system. The Personal Pace was actually very nice. The mulching is mediocre at best as I always have to follow with my gas blower and clear the clumps etc...the bagger isn't even an option,. Fills (or doesn't) too quickly and it seems I am dumping more clippings that actually mowing. The bag is lucky to get 1/2 full then grass begins to accumulate on the lawn. The mower is in need of it's 3rd set of rear wheels (RWD) and maybe a transmission as its making some odd noise and probably a new blade.
So, three reasons or so I am considering moving away from the Toro....1. doesn't leave my lawn looking as nice as we want 2. its given me a few issues with the drive systems 3. I want MADE IN USA

Okay, enough about the Toro. Convince me to buy the Snapper and which one.......Commercial doesn't appear available at either of my local dealers (not in stock anyhow). My preferred dealer told me that since I primarily mulch, to get the Ninja, however he really seemed to push the Toro Super Recycler on me. Explained how the gears were metal, not plastic and so on. Basically solving all of my gripes except the Made in USA part. My thought or want is to buy the Hi-Vac as I want a decent bagger when I need it or want it, and use a mulch plug with either the Ninja Blades or Gators. Maybe I am very off base, but I just need some advice. I have ZERO issue with bagging 90% of the time or more, I have just always been told its healthier for the yard to mulch :confused2: Plus the city I moved to had a compost dump, and its less than 2 miles away.

So lay it on me. I am ready to buy in the next day or so. Hi-Vac with mulching blade and a plug or Ninja Deck with a mulching blade and a bag attachment for those times. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You’re probably not going to like this, but from your description I would agree with your dealer and get a Toro model 21381 and then start cutting your lawn more often. Clumping with your steel deck mover is the result of trying to cut too much off at one time. If you don’t change this there is no mower out there that will give you the cut you want. This is also is causing the rapid wear in the drive wheels and at 10 years old you’ve gotten the best years out of a steel deck mower. The 21381 has a better drive system, mulching and bagging setup, and deck than your old one and will out perform your old unit by 200%. Yes, I’m a Toro guy but have seen this scenario more times than I care to and to some people’s displeasure I tell it like it is. You get what you pay for and need to use it properly to get great results.

ddbtdd

Threads
I think Snapper generally makes good products.
I have a Snapper Pro ztr and I like it lots but my neighbor had a Snapper hivac/ninja and he just replaced it with a Toro. The Snapper was hard for him to pull start and it was over complicated to work on.
Look around. I'm sure something made in USA will appeal to you.

CFD3Capt

Forum Newbie
Threads
I mow twice a week, the clumping issue is a Recycler issue and has been since day 1. I know the Super will out perform it, I just don't care for a chinese or japanese engine. Nothing against them, I just buy american when I can. Briggs is the motor.

I guess I will wait for more responses and see what happens.

gotomow

Threads
Follow your dealers advise and get the Ninja. Don't overthink this. This is a simple choice, if you want to mulch most of the time then get the Ninja!

ddbtdd

Threads
I have a Briggs on my little push mower and on my pressure washer. Both of them are reliable and also do a great job!
With normal care and maintenance, the Snapper hivac with a Briggs should also give you years of reliable service. If you buy anything else at this point you will probably regret it.

Svtom

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all! Glad I found this place! It seems there is a good bit of discussion, albeit mixed etc......Still, I love forums but never imagined I would be posting in one for lawn mowers:laughing:

Anyhow, as the title says. I just moved, bought a new house and its in a nicer area and has a nicer yard than my previous. I decided it was time to ditch my 10 year old Toro Recycler and get something that will help me have the best yard on the block. The Toro has been a fairly decent mower. Only issues were with its cheap plastic drive system. The Personal Pace was actually very nice. The mulching is mediocre at best as I always have to follow with my gas blower and clear the clumps etc...the bagger isn't even an option,. Fills (or doesn't) too quickly and it seems I am dumping more clippings that actually mowing. The bag is lucky to get 1/2 full then grass begins to accumulate on the lawn. The mower is in need of it's 3rd set of rear wheels (RWD) and maybe a transmission as its making some odd noise and probably a new blade.
So, three reasons or so I am considering moving away from the Toro....1. doesn't leave my lawn looking as nice as we want 2. its given me a few issues with the drive systems 3. I want MADE IN USA

Okay, enough about the Toro. Convince me to buy the Snapper and which one.......Commercial doesn't appear available at either of my local dealers (not in stock anyhow). My preferred dealer told me that since I primarily mulch, to get the Ninja, however he really seemed to push the Toro Super Recycler on me. Explained how the gears were metal, not plastic and so on. Basically solving all of my gripes except the Made in USA part. My thought or want is to buy the Hi-Vac as I want a decent bagger when I need it or want it, and use a mulch plug with either the Ninja Blades or Gators. Maybe I am very off base, but I just need some advice. I have ZERO issue with bagging 90% of the time or more, I have just always been told its healthier for the yard to mulch :confused2: Plus the city I moved to had a compost dump, and its less than 2 miles away.

So lay it on me. I am ready to buy in the next day or so. Hi-Vac with mulching blade and a plug or Ninja Deck with a mulching blade and a bag attachment for those times. Thanks in advance!

I have just what you may be looking for ,but I live in the far west tip of Indiana. The mower is a SR3314 Hi-Vacwith bagger and mulch cover if mulching is desired. Nothing is needed,ready to mow right now. And all of it is USA-made! This isn't a "For Sale" post,but this type of Snapper RER will serve you well,IMHO.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
My Toro experience. If you bag, any, at all, look elsewhere. Toro mowers are built for lazy mulching. They choke you lawn with clippings that do not break down, just clog the turf. Now the old 1999 era Super Recyclers are very good mulchers. They have the aluminum decks and personal pace drive. If you can find one, BUY IT.

Best bagger on the planet IS the Snapper Hi-Vac with the blade lift wings bolted to the blade. This machine will suck spare change off your garage floor, with ease. It will suck rocks out of your yard. There is not any other brand, don't care if they call it "commercial" or NASA on it. I have not seen or used anything else even close in bagging performance.

I have not used the Snapper Ninja deck with the Ninja blade. This is the Snapper mulching setup. I have a feeling since the deck is made to mulch, this combo is a mulching winner. You can mulch with the Hi-Vac deck with good results. Actually just as good as any other mower out there.

slomo

Svtom

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have just what you may be looking for ,but I live in the far west tip of Indiana. The mower is a SR3314 Hi-Vac with bagger and mulch cover if mulching is desired. Nothing is needed,ready to mow right now. And all of it is USA-made! This isn't a "For Sale" post,but this type of Snapper RER will serve you well,IMHO.
This mower is gone,didn't last long after it was posted elsewhere as being for sale. The reason I sold it was because I have an Extra Tough 33" Hi-Vac that I have re-powered with a 19hp Intek Briggs. I love this mower. Best quality of cut and absolutely the best mulcher ever. As posted elsewhere,the vacuum in the name Hi-Vac is correct! Do not drive it across a gravel drive with the blade engaged! I have 2 other mowers,a zero turn and a lawn tractor ,both fairly new Husqvarnas and neither cut or mulch as well as the Snapper.

Svtom

Forum Newbie
Threads
My Toro experience. If you bag, any, at all, look elsewhere. Toro mowers are built for lazy mulching. They choke you lawn with clippings that do not break down, just clog the turf. Now the old 1999 era Super Recyclers are very good mulchers. They have the aluminum decks and personal pace drive. If you can find one, BUY IT.

Best bagger on the planet IS the Snapper Hi-Vac with the blade lift wings bolted to the blade. This machine will suck spare change off your garage floor, with ease. It will suck rocks out of your yard. There is not any other brand, don't care if they call it "commercial" or NASA on it. I have not seen or used anything else even close in bagging performance.

I have not used the Snapper Ninja deck with the Ninja blade. This is the Snapper mulching setup. I have a feeling since the deck is made to mulch, this combo is a mulching winner. You can mulch with the Hi-Vac deck with good results. Actually just as good as any other mower out there.

slomo

Just a added note here from experience. I have tried both the Ninja blade and also the Gator mulching blade. I was disappointed with both compared to the OEM Snapper blade with lift wings and a mulch cover. The cut grass is cut/mulched so fine as to simply disappear.The "mulch" blades are hanging in the garage and will never be used again,except in a pinch.