19.5 hp intek starts up, the revs too high.

wellsken

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 19.5 horse power Intek Briggs & Stratton engine, that when I started up it immediately begins racing at unbelievably high rpm. I have found that if I reach down and push the governor arm forward it slows down. Is there a way to adjust the governor so that my RPM will come back down into an operable range? No just the throttle cable the engine continues to rev. It also quickly begins to throw oil out the filler tube because of the high rpm.

Last edited:

Tinkerer200

Threads
I can send you a Service Manual for your engine IF you like.To adjust the governor, Move the carb throttle arm to wide open position and hold it there. Note the direction the governor shaft coming out the side of the engine moved when doing this. Loosen the clamp holding the governor arm to this shaft, turn the governor shaft on in the direction it moved as far as it will turn. This will not be much. Re-tighten the clamp on the governor arm. IF this doesn't work, you will have to remove the sump and see what is going on in there. The governor weights may have come off or be broken. Also note that the governor assembly is part of the oil slinger assembly.

Walt Conner
wconner5 at frontier dot com

wellsken

Forum Newbie
Threads
I can send you a Service Manual for your engine IF you like.To adjust the governor, Move the carb throttle arm to wide open position and hold it there. Note the direction the governor shaft coming out the side of the engine moved when doing this. Loosen the clamp holding the governor arm to this shaft, turn the governor shaft on in the direction it moved as far as it will turn. This will not be much. Re-tighten the clamp on the governor arm. IF this doesn't work, you will have to remove the sump and see what is going on in there. The governor weights may have come off or be broken. Also note that the governor assembly is part of the oil slinger assembly.

Walt Conner
wconner5 at frontier dot com

Thanks, Walt. I’ll let you know if I need that manual.

Tinkerer200

Threads
So, what did you find?

Walt Conner