Self-Propelled Lawnmower Wheels Spin on Grass

eddie57

Threads
I have carpet grass and it really thick. My lawnmower's wheel's spin on the grass when I am cutting it. If I lift the back of the mower a little it will get more front wheel traction. Is there anything I can do to get my lawnmower to get more traction on the grass? Lawnmower is 9 years old, but wheels are almost new. It's been like this since I bought it basically. Thanks.

MowLife

Threads
Thick grass and front drive mowers don’t do well because they can’t get enough traction pulling the cutting deck through it. My advice is get an AWD mower. Husqvarna makes a good reasonably priced one. Got mine for 350 at Lowe’s and wouldn’t hesitate to get another.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
any way you could add weight to the front of the mower?

eddie57

Threads
I will see if I can find something to bolt to the front of it. I may tried raising the rear tires so they are higher than the front. Thanks

Code54

Threads
Drill through he deck and put a carriage bolt from the bottom up between the front wheels. Mount a weight plate (large washer and wing nut to secure to bolt)

eddie57

Threads
So an AWD Mower will work on a thick lawn? Is this a 4 wheel drive mower? Thanks

MowLife

Threads
So an AWD Mower will work on a thick lawn? Is this a 4 wheel drive mower? Thanks

Yep it’s 4 wheel drive. I use mine commercially and really like the way it pulls. I do a lot of steep inclines on ditches and holds to the ground well. There were a few models that were AWD with different options. Mine don’t have a discard chute option. It either mulches or bags....my only dislike on my model.

eddie57

Threads
Is it heavy or difficult to maneuver? I am not young and health isn't great. Thanks

MowLife

Threads
Not heavy but not light and cheap feeling if that makes sense. Super easy to navigate. Turning directions is easier than front drive mowers to me. Always been a one pull to start mower. No choke or throttle....all automatic.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Maybe eddie57 could invent thin rubber knobby add on tires that would work similar to studded tires and become a millionaire.:smile: