Cleaning your zero turn

ironhead3fan

Threads
After each mowing, I do blow off my zero turn to keep the grass off of it, but once in a while, I'd like to bring back that new shine. Have any of you found a good trick, say maybe a good spray on, let it set for a few minutes, then rinse if off? Dollar General sells a product called Awesome, which is a real good degreaser. Any one try that just for a general cleaning of their zero turn? Maybe you've found something better? Thanks for any input.

The Chairman

Threads
I kick off any grass build up, but I have a lot to do without adding a wash and wax to my zero-turn. I do change the fluids, filters and blades as well as keep up with any worn items.

sjones1011

Forum Newbie
Threads
I also blow off my mower after each cut in dry conditions but about every 3rd cut or if the grass/ground was wet and I have stuff stuck to the mower, I hose it off & give it a quick blow dry.

The best thing I have found is the generic purple degreaser concentrate at Home Depot or Tractor Supply that is diluted with water to make your solution for a spray bottle. I spray the entire mower and the grime, grass & grease immediately start dissolving and 'melting' away from the metal and tires. I lightly hose it off after letting the degreaser soak for a minute and then blow it dry with a hand-held blower. My mower never goes to bed with wet hair!

The degreaser spray works great and requires minimal, if any, rubbing or scrubbing. This is greatly preferred over pressure washing (which I never do) since it does not damage the paint or force water into bearings or places that are slow to dry thus causing rust.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I never use water. But I do, once blown off & wiped. Give it a Wax job, at end of each mow season.

Sounds funny, but that slick surface will be much easier to keep clean thru the year..

Cestenert

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the tip! I hadn't thought about the effectiveness of degreaser sprays before. At first, I just limited myself to water, but I realized my mistake after three procedures. Should’ve read more about it before I tried it. Hope this spray will give the same great result as when I had sparklewash.com do some pressure washing on my zero turn. I get very annoyed when I can’t get it to look like new, but their work was exemplary in that sense.

Last edited:

DK35vince

Threads
I blow mine off every now and then through the mow season.
After the last mow in the fall I give mine a good pressure washing

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
WD40 works great to clean and shine up a mower. Some degreasers can damage black plastic parts. I buy it by the gallon and have it in a spray bottle and i spray down customer equipment and wipe it down. It has a very mild solvent that cleans crud and doesn't hurt paint or plastics. Shines up paint and plastic without leaving a film like armor all type products.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
WD40 works great to clean and shine up a mower. Some degreasers can damage black plastic parts. I buy it by the gallon and have it in a spray bottle and i spray down customer equipment and wipe it down. It has a very mild solvent that cleans crud and doesn't hurt paint or plastics. Shines up paint and plastic without leaving a film like armor all type products.
Attracts and holds dirt too.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Never use any water or wonder cleaner of the month. Back pack blower is all for weekly cleaning. Paint brush for dusting.

Winter project, Turtle Wax the deck. Keeps the paint looking new. Slather used engine oil to the under side of deck. No deck rot and keeps grass from sticking.