Charging Light "ON"

BT2 Zeke

Forum Newbie
Threads
On my RZT50 with the Kawasaki 22HP engine (300 hrs.) the charging light came this weekend while I was mowing. It also shows "0" voltage on the LCD screen. I checked the battery. It shows 12.7 volts with the engine shut off. I get a 15 volt reading at the battery with the engine running. The 15 volts seems a little high but it tells me the charging system is working. The mower is running fine.

It appears to me the LCD digital display unit has a problem but I'm not sure. I would appreciate any thoughts on my opinion or personal experience stories with the same issue. Thanks in advance.

jk3700

Threads
On my RZT50 with the Kawasaki 22HP engine (300 hrs.) the charging light came this weekend while I was mowing. It also shows "0" voltage on the LCD screen. I checked the battery. It shows 12.7 volts with the engine shut off. I get a 15 volt reading at the battery with the engine running. The 15 volts seems a little high but it tells me the charging system is working. The mower is running fine.

It appears to me the LCD digital display unit has a problem but I'm not sure. I would appreciate any thoughts on my opinion or personal experience stories with the same issue. Thanks in advance.

Seems to me that the charging voltage is high because the battery needs it.

Even though your battery reads 12.7 volts with the engine off doesn't really tell the condition of the battery.

How does the engine turn over?

The battery voltage under load is really the real story teller.

Try measuring the voltage when you are cranking the engine?

Did the LCD screen ever read correctly?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
15 at the battery is high, and indicates a bad voltage regulator. the high voltage can damage the battery and other electrical components. I have seen high voltage turn on the battery indicator lights so I would be getting it fixed.

BT2 Zeke

Forum Newbie
Threads
15 at the battery is high, and indicates a bad voltage regulator. the high voltage can damage the battery and other electrical components. I have seen high voltage turn on the battery indicator lights so I would be getting it fixed.

I was wondering about that. Thanks for the tip.

jk3700

Threads
000 battery.jpg

If you ready 15 volts with an analog meter, it was probably pretty close to 14.7 volts.

Sounds to me like the battery was under heavy charge. Like maybe a cell bad.

Does it sound sluggish when you start it?

BT2 Zeke

Forum Newbie
Threads
Starts & runs just fine. Battery 12.7VDC shut off. 15VDC running. Digital voltmeter.

jk3700

Threads
It appears that your original feeling are right.

Light being on has something to do with the LCD display or the charging circuit.

Good Luck!