transmission pulley question

addisongravely

Forum Newbie
Threads
I an working on my friends DR AT2 brush mower. I had to replace the transmission and when doing so noticed the pulley was bad. I called DR to get a new pulley . When the pulley came it was the right size but the old pulley, in addition to a key slot, had 2 opposing set screws which were missing on the new pulley. DR said that was an updated pulley and the set screws were not needed and that the 5/8 retaining ring was enough to secure pulley. Before I installed the new pulley I wanted to see if that sounds right to others. I have not replaced a transmission pulley before and maybe a retaining ring is strong enough to hold the pulley on the shaft. Thanks.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
There are thousands of riding mowers around that have the transmission pulley held on by either a e-clip or snap ring. So it should be fine.

addisongravely

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the quick reply ILENGINE. Allow me to ask a rather dumb question-do you place the pulley just above the retaining ring groove ?

MowLife

Threads
Pulley should be close to groove...it’s basically against the clip after installed. If your pulley has play (moves up and down shaft) then you need set screws to hold it firmly.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A little movement is good as it allows for belt flopping.
A lot is bad and can be taken up with some washers or other spacers.
Most of them are quite loose say about .010" or so.