TS348XD Review

angleiron

Forum Newbie
Threads
Bought this riding mower based up quite a few positive reviews...but it has not been living up to the reviews. While it has the electronic locking differential what I have found is that when this is engaged the mower will not steer...meaning that if you turn the wheel with the diff locked it keeps pushing forward/straight and will not turn. Anyone else experience this?

The mulching kit is a pain. Adding the plate to the mowing deck HAS to be there or grass is coming up from everywhere if you just use the shoot cover. The biggest problem I have with this plate is that it catches/holds grass because there is now a shelf of about 2" for everything to get stuck on. More so with wet/damp grass as it will just pack in there which will then just give the deck an area to start to rust. With dry grass it holds in there too and will dump out the grass clippings on every bump or they fall out when in the garage making a mess.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
With the diff locked you can only make very turns going forward
In order to make tight turns you need a slipping diff that is the very reason why diffs were invented
So turning on full lock with the diff locked will just cause the front wheels to skid.

I use a lot of mowers from the 60's & 70 all of which have solid rear axels and to turn tight you have to be going backwards or make the back end step out like the racing mower drivers do.

Ole Cowboy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Bought this riding mower based up quite a few positive reviews...but it has not been living up to the reviews. While it has the electronic locking differential what I have found is that when this is engaged the mower will not steer...meaning that if you turn the wheel with the diff locked it keeps pushing forward/straight and will not turn. Anyone else experience this?

The mulching kit is a pain. Adding the plate to the mowing deck HAS to be there or grass is coming up from everywhere if you just use the shoot cover. The biggest problem I have with this plate is that it catches/holds grass because there is now a shelf of about 2" for everything to get stuck on. More so with wet/damp grass as it will just pack in there which will then just give the deck an area to start to rust. With dry grass it holds in there too and will dump out the grass clippings on every bump or they fall out when in the garage making a mess.
What you are describing is how lockers work, they LOCK up and due to an extremely short wheelbase turning is not easy. They should be used only when you have an issue with traction, then turned off or you can damage your tractor. This is NORMAL behavior with lockers on any application.

I have a locker on my F 350 truck, F/R on my Jeep Rubicon and have used lockers almost 20 years, love them and would not own a mower of this type without them, in fact, it's mandatory where I live, which is why I am buying a TS348XD.

Let me know if you want to sell the tractor...

angleiron

Forum Newbie
Threads
What you are describing is how lockers work, they LOCK up and due to an extremely short wheelbase turning is not easy. They should be used only when you have an issue with traction, then turned off or you can damage your tractor. This is NORMAL behavior with lockers on any application.

I have a locker on my F 350 truck, F/R on my Jeep Rubicon and have used lockers almost 20 years, love them and would not own a mower of this type without them, in fact, it's mandatory where I live, which is why I am buying a TS348XD.

Let me know if you want to sell the tractor...

I have a locking diff on my Raptor so I have an idea on how they worked. My previous JD had the same but would make turns with the diff locked. With this mower even the slightest wheel turned will still push straight. That is what is weird...

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
In this case it is just not enough weight on the front wheels or too much pressure in the front tyres.