Repairs 1970s Restauration, a question

GMG_25

Threads
Hello everybody,

My sons and I are in the process of restoring a late 1970s Ride-on mower sold here as Gutbrod 2016H, among others.

At the time MTD was already heavily invested in Gutbrod. Today the old seat of Gutbrod in Bübingen in the Saarland is the European headquarters of MTD.

So it's not surprising that this mower was also marketed under other names, some of which I found:
- MTD 16/42
- MTD Super 16
- MTD 16 SL
- Ventzki Super 16

We immediately liked the "face" of the mower and so we took it with us, although the condition left much to be desired - as it turned out, even that of the engine.

We were very surprised to find that what we thought was ordinary, albeit small, headlights turned out to be the actual bulbs (12V @ 2A ~ 24W) - I had not seen anything like it before.

But look at that yourself in the attachment.

Two topics currently occupy us the most:
- where do we get authentic-looking replacement for the headlights of about 4inch / 102mm in diameter, as while one is fine the other one is broken?
- to get information, what could an exemplary serial number for this mower look like at MTD, as our specimen lacks any number, including the engine we dated to about 1977/78, also with the help of the B & S section of the forum?

Any help, any hints?

Thanks in advance,
greetings
Franz

Attachments

• Gutbrod_2016_Face_Bulb.pdf
    254 KB · Views: 15

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Shouldn't be too difficult.

Here I happen to have one sitting on my computer desk, mine was for a Murray...

bulb 001.jpgbulb 002.jpg

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Small writing on the back says : 12v 35w GE4411-1 Auto Tractor 375

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Several on e-bay.

GMG_25

Threads
Hi Fish,

Fast and reliable as always! :eek:) Thank you.

The key to finding these lamps is apparently 4411-1, then I also get some deliverables at reasonable prices.
But it is like almost always: almost exclusively in the US and if the seller ever shipped to Germany, then at ridiculously high prices - the shipping costs then sometimes five times the value of the goods ...

Have now placed an order with sourcefy.com, supposedly free shipping. The lamps are supposed to come from Solid Lift Parts Inc. Vancouver / BC ... I'm curious ... Lift Parts can be correct, in my search I've seen that these lamps are / were also used with fork-lift trucks ...

Thank you for the quick help.

- I am very interested in other names under which this mower was sold.
- And I would like to have a suitable serial number to download documents from MTD.

Thank you,
greetings
Franz

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
I feel these lamps were fairly common, probably on a lot of farm equipment as well. I could probably find them at an auto parts supplier or farm store too.

GMG_25

Threads
Yes, Fish,

I also gained that impression when searching. Funny that I did not know these lamps. If the ordered lamps should not come I'll ask for a small package from the auto parts store. ;-)

It even seems to be a kind of norm: I've seen them today from the manufacturers: GE, Philips, Wagner - could this happen to be the latter's logo?

attachment.php

(only now do I know how cracked even my "good" lamp is)

Thanks for the name "Cenex", which is not known for ride-on mower here, rather for fuel cells.

But doesn't he look sad, little Cenex?
attachment.php
(copyright akretowicz)

But then ours did not look so "finished" - and came with a bigger engine.

Other names and manufacturers for the same mower are welcome!

Greetings
Franz

Attachments

• W_logo.jpg
    W_logo.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 14
  • Cenex_01_post-2282-13289388025.jpg
    Cenex_01_post-2282-13289388025.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 3

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
MTD made dozens of different brands, and the only difference between models would be the hoods and paint, so any store chain had their own line of mowers. MTD also bought out and absorbed most of the different brands out there, and put their logos on MTD tractors. So the actual name on the tractot has little meaning.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Here is that logo.....
westinghouse-logo.jpg