Mower Only moves in reverse

JPaulson

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi there, I have a t3000 craftsman mower And i cannot get it to drive forward. When it hit the forward pedal it goes in reverse, when i hit the reverse pedal it goes in reverse. Will not drive forward. Please advise.

Image-1.jpg0.jpg

JPaulson

Forum Newbie
Threads
So i finally had a chance to split the transmission and figure out what was going on with it it, ill post the pictures of what i found below. Keep in mind this mower is Single female driven in her 50s with no kids and less than a quarter acre total including the house on the lot. 80 hours on a 2015. Shes put 2 transmissions in under warranty and now its out of warranty i decided to step in and expose what these things are made of, and the issues with them. Ask anyone know owns one i bet they have put a transmission or two in it, Her neighbor has the same rider and he has put 3 transmissions in it! (hopefully i can get him to keep his next one so i can fix hers lol) Anyways, take a gander at how this things set up in the pics. Absolute fricken junk, Guess who wont sell replacement parts for it? General Transmission; the manufacturer. What a joke all around, husqvarna has walked away from this transmission company and i can see why. If you pay $400 for a new transmission from them, they will warranty it for 90 Days!!! Even they dont stand behind the garbage they make.

image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image3.jpeg

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The problem with that tranny is people do not come to a full stop before changing gear.
What is missing is a warning decal on the dash.

As for being a bad design, well yes.
Why ?
Because people are too cheap for their own good and will not pay for quality so they get second rate products because that is all they will pay for.

And this is not limited to lawnmowers.
People expect to get paid more for doing the exact same thing every year
yet for some strange reason they expect to pay less for more every year.
The 2 do not add up.

JPaulson

Forum Newbie
Threads
The problem with that tranny is people do not come to a full stop before changing gear.
What is missing is a warning decal on the dash.

As for being a bad design, well yes.
Why ?
Because people are too cheap for their own good and will not pay for quality so they get second rate products because that is all they will pay for.

And this is not limited to lawnmowers.
People expect to get paid more for doing the exact same thing every year
yet for some strange reason they expect to pay less for more every year.
The 2 do not add up.

Well, I guess the answer is to blame the consumer for a faulty transmission. This rider is just south of $2500, which is a lot of money. Is the expectation of her to go out and buy far more than she would ever need to mow a lawn that takes 20 minutes? That's not logical, although i honestly feel you just commented to get your post counter up i felt it warranted a reply. Mowers are rated up to a certain acre, this one was well (with tons to spare) within what it was rated to do. I talked to the manufacturer of this transmission and i asked this question; if i buy this replacement transmission do you see this replacement lasting me 10 years? He said no. He then went on to say that because of all of the warranty claims Husqvarna walked away from them as a manufacturer and are no longer putting these transmissions in their product. You were somewhat right, tho, he went on to say alot of people are complaining they let off the throttle on a hill and want to slow down and hit reverse instead of the brake, breaking the transmission and rendering the unit useless. Its easiest to blame the consumer for this, when in fact, its a riding lawn mower and should be able to perform any task around the yard and not snap a plastic gear in half and the first sign of operator error.

I dont understand where you are going with people expect to pay less for more, when we all expect to pay more for MORE as time goes on and technology advances.

If i buy a F150 Lariat and it blows up, Ill say, "Dang i should of got the king ranch package"

TheVirginian

Threads
I can't believe that ANY gearing in a transmission would be PLASTIC.........what the actual farg.....??? heck even the "power ride on" toys i'm assembling as Amazon jobs have gone to some metal gearing on the gearbox (although some things in the "drive train" are still plastic but it's a TOY!!! lol)

JPaulson

Forum Newbie
Threads
I can't believe that ANY gearing in a transmission would be PLASTIC.........what the actual farg.....??? heck even the "power ride on" toys i'm assembling as Amazon jobs have gone to some metal gearing on the gearbox (although some things in the "drive train" are still plastic but it's a TOY!!! lol)

It really is crazy, especially a part that has or could potentially have a large amount of force on it if the operator dont come to a complete stop every single time. I posted here to educate others and hopefully i can save someone a few dollars, based on reviews ive read online, people are going through 1 transmission a year with these tractors. I would encourage everyone to google and see for yourself if you are thinking of purchasing one. I have 2 of these in my garage right now, one with a blown motor and one with a bad transmission. I feel if the manufacturer admitted they made a terrible transmission, and made replacement parts available, they would be in a much better situation.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well, I guess the answer is to blame the consumer for a faulty transmission. This rider is just south of $2500, which is a lot of money. Is the expectation of her to go out and buy far more than she would ever need to mow a lawn that takes 20 minutes? That's not logical, although i honestly feel you just commented to get your post counter up i felt it warranted a reply. Mowers are rated up to a certain acre, this one was well (with tons to spare) within what it was rated to do. I talked to the manufacturer of this transmission and i asked this question; if i buy this replacement transmission do you see this replacement lasting me 10 years? He said no. He then went on to say that because of all of the warranty claims Husqvarna walked away from them as a manufacturer and are no longer putting these transmissions in their product. You were somewhat right, tho, he went on to say alot of people are complaining they let off the throttle on a hill and want to slow down and hit reverse instead of the brake, breaking the transmission and rendering the unit useless. Its easiest to blame the consumer for this, when in fact, its a riding lawn mower and should be able to perform any task around the yard and not snap a plastic gear in half and the first sign of operator error.

I dont understand where you are going with people expect to pay less for more, when we all expect to pay more for MORE as time goes on and technology advances.

If i buy a F150 Lariat and it blows up, Ill say, "Dang i should of got the king ranch package"

Not trying to be critical or abusive on a personnal level.
My father bought his first walk behind mower in 1962.
It cost 49 gineas , which was not important. What is that the 49 (call them what you want ) was over 1 MONTHS wages.
1 full month of toil & sweat bought the basic push mower, pulley start, no recoil & no catcher, they were extra and beyond what the finance company would allow him to borrow as we were already paying off the fridge & TV.
That mower, now fitted with a recoil & catcher is still being used by the groundsman at my sisters block of flats and will probably still be running when her great grand kids inherit the building.
A top of the line self propelled Honda is now $ 1900, a lot more than the ~ 100 dad paid for his middle of the range mower, but that $ 1900 is about 1.25 weeks wages so it is 2/3 cheaper than the Victa dad bought.

I have a 1966 Rover 8Hp 32" ride on, it came with the original purchase receipt $ 660 which was around 8 weeks wages
The closest modern equivalent would be a 15Hp 36" rear engine rider which is $ 1200 less than a weeks wages.

The Rover is still running perfectly and will be handed down through the family when I die.
The modern rer's are very lucky to outlive their 12 month warranty if used on anything much bigger that a flat 1/4 acre block.

The numbers are not what you are paying for a mower.
It is our toil & sweat, and what we pay now is a lot lot lot lot lot less than they used to be.
Yet we expect the new mower to be better & have more features than the old one

The trouble is people do not equate the price in numbers to hours of work spent to get it which in reality is what you are spending. $$$$ are just an exchange medium that both the buyer & seller will accept.
So we see a mower that was $ 200 10 years ago & the same or equivalent is now $ 300 so think it has gone up in price when in reality it has gone down or at lest just kept pace with inflation.
The other problem is people no longer have the ability to access the quality of the goods they buy so they shop on features & dollar amount.
Thus he who sells a feature packed pile of junk at a low dollar price prospers while he who sells an honest product, well designed & well made but a higher price than the feature packed pile of junk goes broke.

So yes you are responsible for the decline in quality & durability of what you buy, you and 10,000 other yous.
But it is very hard to educate people that continually buying on lowest dollar value leads to lower quality products with things like a plastic gear dog because it is $ 20 cheaper to make than a sintered metal one which is $ 15 cheaper still than a cast steel one which is 1/2 the price of the top quality forged one.

However when you bought the mower if you were offerred the std mower you bought for $ 2500 or the identical looking de-luxe with a forged clutch dog for $ 2650 which would you buy ?
Now , with the benefit of hindsight you would happily pay the extra $ 150 but back then ?

Each & every time you open your wallet it causes some one to make a decision, be it what goes into the beer you drink or the mower you ride on.

If you haven't shut your mind down by now, I offer an example most have no problem understanding.
There were 2 famous Henry's in the pioneering days of motoring.
One made cars as cheap as possible , only available in one colour, no options and most would only just make the end of the 30 day warranty period in one piece.
The other Henry made the best car it was possible to build and guaranteed the vehicle through successive generations so it could be handed down the family.
The first set himself & his family to be in the top 1% of the worlds rich list for the next 100 years, his name was Ford
The other bankrupted himself & his family and his partners and died a pauper his name was Royce ( of Rolls Royce )