lazer z 52 cuts grass and dies

kurtackerman

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a lazer 52 with a 23 kal engine on it. I have owned it for a couple years and its been ok. currently it will start and blades will engage and then after about 1 minute it will die. It will restart and seems to do worse the second time. Is there a delay kill switch? I have already cut the safety seat switch and wired them together. I by all means want to keep all safety swiches but want to find out what is causing this issue. I can work a meter and can turn a wrench.
thanks for any and all help.

Last edited:

IrishJO4

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a lazer 52 with a 23 kal engine on it. I have owned it for a couple years and its been ok. currently it will start and blades will engage and then after about 1 minute it will die. It will restart and seems to do worse the second time. Is there a delay kill switch? I have already cut the safety seat switch and wired them together. I by all means want to keep all safety swiches but want to find out what is causing this issue. I can work a meter and can turn a wrench.
thanks for any and all help.
Check the fuel bowl - fuel shutoff solenoid on the bottom of the carburetor. They get weak and are spring loaded to shut off the fuel even if they have the 12 volts ( with key on ) Some are made in pieces so you might be able to unscrew it, take the pin part out the screw it back in and try it. If that is it, get a new on on Ebaky maybe , !! Save the old on for parts / and or reference !! I got one from dealer - model/ serial # etc. it didn't work. I had to use internal parts on bottom of the new solenoid to make it let the gas thru !! Good luck !!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well that was the first mistake having bypassed the most important safety switch on the entire mower and the one that actually gives the least amount of trouble
So what do you want to do keep on mutilating the loom then start swapping parts at random hoping that you will eventually stumble across the problem or do an actual diagnosis ?
The answer to this question will determine the response that you get
If the former every one will happily chime in with what ever fault had them scratching their heads for weeks
If the latter then we will ask you to do some testing so we can determine what is at fault
And I do hope you checked your wiring diagram in the owners manual before you went about chopping up the loom just in case the eat switch actually energised the kill relay.
And on the subject of owners manual and wiring diagram, there are 7 variants of Lazer Z then there are multiple serial breaks that have their own manuals, so there must be some significant changes between the serial breaks or they would not have bothered to change the owners manuals.
Now most of the techs here are either way too busy ( or like me too lazy ) to be bothered downloading 72 different manuals to try & work out which one is correct for your mower
So unless you want generic information that may be right or may be wrong we need to know the actual model & serial numbers off the mowers ID tag and the same from the engine does not hurt either

So if you are serious about getting back on the grass quickly with the least expence then provide the information asked for.
IF you want sympathy , a shoulder to cry on and 100 people to say "God Bless" & " have a nice day" then there are a lot of forums out there that will do that all day & night long but provide less than no actual help.
You decide

IrishJO4

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well that was the first mistake having bypassed the most important safety switch on the entire mower and the one that actually gives the least amount of trouble
So what do you want to do keep on mutilating the loom then start swapping parts at random hoping that you will eventually stumble across the problem or do an actual diagnosis ?
The answer to this question will determine the response that you get
If the former every one will happily chime in with what ever fault had them scratching their heads for weeks
If the latter then we will ask you to do some testing so we can determine what is at fault
And I do hope you checked your wiring diagram in the owners manual before you went about chopping up the loom just in case the eat switch actually energised the kill relay.
And on the subject of owners manual and wiring diagram, there are 7 variants of Lazer Z then there are multiple serial breaks that have their own manuals, so there must be some significant changes between the serial breaks or they would not have bothered to change the owners manuals.
Now most of the techs here are either way too busy ( or like me too lazy ) to be bothered downloading 72 different manuals to try & work out which one is correct for your mower
So unless you want generic information that may be right or may be wrong we need to know the actual model & serial numbers off the mowers ID tag and the same from the engine does not hurt either

So if you are serious about getting back on the grass quickly with the least expence then provide the information asked for.
IF you want sympathy , a shoulder to cry on and 100 people to say "God Bless" & " have a nice day" then there are a lot of forums out there that will do that all day & night long but provide less than no actual help.
You decide
Don’t worry about this post any more , I definitely don’t want your help !

Born2Mow

Threads
In the "good old days", the fuel cap breather was just a tiny hole. The new EPA fuel systems have a labyrinth so that liquid gasoline never escapes. The problem is the fuel repeatedly sloshes onto the breather, dries up, and can clog the air path over time. The engine will start, but the fuel flowing to the carb creates a vacuum inside the tank, and after a few minutes fuel can no longer leave the tank. Try running with your fuel cap fitted fairly loose.

Sometimes the breather is in the cap; sometimes the breather is part of the tank. If you can find it, 80psi compressed air usually clears the issue. If all else fails, use your smallest drill bit to add a new hole to a location that's in the highest part of the tank.

Hope this helps.

IrishJO4

Forum Newbie
Threads
Don’t worry about this post any more , I definitely don’t want your help !
I never touched the wiring harness of any safety switches. The machine is as he bought it used & ran for 2 years. 2700 hrs. UPDATE - older Machine to dealer 1st.- dealer said left hydro is shot - taking all the engine power. Yet, it will work fine for an hour before it starts acting up, losing power. 2nd - newer 700 hr machine to dealer - needed 1 new coil - coil was firing intermittently - power restored on this one.