Repairs have bad problem I think John Deere RX75

Threads
It's been dormant for awhile. JohnDeere RX75 would run when I parked it a few years ago. Old battery I'm sure was no good but I gave it the benefit of doubt and tried recharging anyway. No go. I thought replacing the battery would help to at least help to make the starter motor work(I know it probably wont start without some work after sitting outside for a few years. (two flat tires that wont hold air and a dull blade but that parts no biggee) I know its not the seat or any of the safety switches because we disconnected them way before we put a million miles on it. the wire connections to the battery look ok. just nothing happens when I turn the key. 20190517_120120.jpg

Attachments

• 20190517_120120.jpg
    20190517_120120.jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 5

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
These RER's are a PIA to work on as you just about have to hang from the ceiling to work on them.
If you body can be pulled off to allow access to the engine, do it.

Start by checking the starter motor by jumping it directly from the battery.
If it has been sitting for a long time the ground lead will be corroded so take it off & clean the contact surfaces.
If the starter spins, move the + jumper to the battery side of the solenoid and try the key again.
pull the small wire off the solenoid & jump from the battery side to this terminal.
If the starter solenoid does not trip, pull it out hook the - jumper lead to the base and then touch the + lead to the trigger wire.
If it does not clack, the solenoid is too corroded and will need to be replaced.

Get a can of WD 40 or contact cleaner , soak the plugs on the back of the switches then unplug & plug them 1/2 dozen times to get a clean contact surface.

The power for tripping the solenoid is a daisy chain from the fuse to the B terminal of the key switch, to the S terminal on the key switch to the PTO switch to the parking brake switch then to the reverse switch ( where fitted ) to the solenoid..

All of those switches are simple sliding contact switches and might be restored by saturating with WD 40 or contact cleaner and working the switches a lot.

Threads
you say if the body can be pulled off- you mean the plastic shroud that covers everything?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yep that is the one.
Some of the RER's i work on you can remove that plastic surround and access the engine.
Some don't