Stihl HT-133 Pole Saw - Bogging Motor(?)

Ghostrider16

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Y'all,

I notice when I run the saw full throttle, the motor sounds like it's bogging/missing somewhat (even when it's warmed up). The chain seems to spin alright and it cuts fine, but I was expecting it to sound more like a chain saw - you know, that clean, winding out sound (like a 2-stroke motorcycle, as opposed to a 4-stroke).

For those of you that have them, do yours sound similar or are you having a different experience and, if so, what do you think might be the problem? It's sounded this way since I bought it (so it shouldn't be a stale fuel issue - I use their moto mix).

Thanks in advance!

MowLife

Threads
It’s a hybrid 4-mix. It’s not to be confused with a 4 cycle that has motor oil in it’s crankcase. These 4-mix motors run on 2 cycle oil mix. They do have valves in them that need a periodic adjustment. They definitely have a different sound firing half the times as a 2 cycle. They work more on torque than rpms.

Been There Done That

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Y'all,

I notice when I run the saw full throttle, the motor sounds like it's bogging/missing somewhat (even when it's warmed up). The chain seems to spin alright and it cuts fine, but I was expecting it to sound more like a chain saw - you know, that clean, winding out sound (like a 2-stroke motorcycle, as opposed to a 4-stroke).

For those of you that have them, do yours sound similar or are you having a different experience and, if so, what do you think might be the problem? It's sounded this way since I bought it (so it shouldn't be a stale fuel issue - I use their moto mix).

Thanks in advance!
If you have about 50 hours or so of use on it, check the rocker adjustment. It's pretty easy. There's a kit you can get from your Stihl dealer that includes the feeler guage and valve cover gasket. You don't want to re-use the old valve cover gasket. A T-27 Torx scredriver or bit will allow you to remove the valve cover, and an 8mm or 5/16 wrench will let you adjust the valve to rocker clearance. Check your air filter often, and if you let the macine idle often, check the spark arrestor screen in the muffler. The often have carbon build up after extensive use. Hope that helps.

Ghostrider16

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks much for the replies!

Glad to know it's normal and not some other issue I need to deal with.