Intermittantly blowing blue smoke

seagull40

Threads
I have a Briggs i/c gold 13.5hp motor that spews out blue smoke but only does it intermittently. Most of the time, when it starts happening I can shut the motor off, let it sit for a minute, start it up again it will run without issue.

Anyone know what might be going on?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
find and post your engine's model numbers. Check the oil level. See if it is over full, and see if it has the odor of gas.

If it is an OHV, you may have a blown head gasket.

Old Okie

Threads
I was given a tractor type riding mower with a one cylinder, 21?? hp Briggs motor on it.
Oil was running out of the muffler. Put on a new head gasket and now have a good
running mower, for cheap. The head gasket failure is common with one cylinder
Briggs OHV motors.

seagull40

Threads
Thanks for the speedy replies.

Know where I might find the tag with the engine info? I looked on all 4 corners of the engine housing, but didn't see anything.

Oil level, viscosity and whatnot has been fine. Unless it's my imagination, it seems to have the problem less often when the oil level is low

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Is it an OHV?
Can you put up a pic of it?

seagull40

Threads
The manual for the tractor the motor is on says it's model 28R707-1140-E1. Diagrams from Jack's Small Engines shows it's a typical flat head.

Attachments

• untitled2.jpg
    untitled2.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 11

Tinkerer200

Threads
Well, breather or head gasket issues looks like the only thing that would apply in my situation. I'll see if I can find where the breather is located.

Thanks for the link to the manuals.

Not likely to be head gasket on flat head. Seldom breather but could be. Again check for over full oil contaminated with gas. To check breather, disconnect rubber hose from air cleaner box, alternately suck and blow vigorously into rubber hose, should suck easily, blow with restriction. May have to remove breather to access it better. No more than .040" between fiber disc and seat of breather valve, do not press on fiber disc.

Walt Conner