Mower won't work with a chain wound up in the belt!!!

BobM53

Threads
  • / Mower won't work with a chain wound up in the belt!!!
Been a fun coupla mowings with the newer Dixie I bought. I TRIED to use it to mow the front yard like I have done for years with the old dixie (about a 1998). It has the original dixie tires (which are hopeless if it is wet!). Yep, got it stuck. Flagged down the wife (who was merrily mowing away on the old mower). I have a small snatch chain I use to pull engines and even use it to pull mowers out of the ditch. A quick pull and it was out. I threw the chain into the footwell of the newer (about 07 ) mower and went back to mowing.....for about six feet! The old mower has an enclosed footwell....the new one....not so much! That chain slid off the footwell and down onto the spinning belts. Horrendous screetching of the belts and copious amounts of smoke immediately issued forth. Three hours, a few scratches and bruises and many expletives deleted later it was all back together!
Now I bought this mower without an engine this spring and bought an engine from another guy. I planned on assembling it myself, but ran out of time. So I took it to the local mower shop and had them put it all together. Good thing I did, cause the T box was installed backwards (something I woulda spent forever figuring out!). Anyways, the engine to deck belt was old, but looked alright. But after the chain locked things up and smoked the belt a little, it looked a little more ragged. I PLANNED on getting a new one, but with all the rain in west-central Indiana I needed to mow again before I got one......Yeah, didn't work. The wife (now on the newer mower) made a pass and a half and the belt was squalling. It being Saturday afternoon (ALL the mower shops around me close at noon I guess.) So I tried to tighten it....Nope.
So, I bought a new belt ordered some aggressive tires and actually got to use it to mow a whole mowing! The tires came yesterday. Gotta get them on sometime.
BTW: I decided to not sell the old mower. Think I'm gonna keep it for a spare.
Hope everyone else is doing great.