JD x590 48" Deck Accumulates Grass

mjneiner

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a JD 590 with 48" deck with 110 hours and cut approx 2.5 acres. I love the lawnmower, especially the power steering but the grass accumulates under the deck and every other time I have to scrape it out and end up with around 3/4 of a 5 gal bucket of clumps of grass. Prior to the 590 I had an x300 with 48" deck and didn't have that problem. I usually have the deck set at 2.75" and recently raised it to 3" to see if that will help. I've complained to my JD dealer and they did not have any suggestions. Luckily I have a brush guard on it so I can raise it with my floor jack and it's easier to get under but it still takes 15 to 30 minutes of time. I tried the wash port but that is useless. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Is that a welded fabricated deck or the standard stamped steel deck? Side discharge? Seems like a wet grass deal but I guess you'd know that. Odd problem for a stamped deck though.

TJR345

Threads
Do you have the mulch kit or using mulch blades.

mjneiner

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is that a welded fabricated deck or the standard stamped steel deck? Side discharge? Seems like a wet grass deal but I guess you'd know that. Odd problem for a stamped deck though.

I'm not sure if it's welded or stamped and side discharge. It's is a very heavy deck and is higher than my x300. I couldn't use my x300 power bagger and had to replace it with the new style. It accumulates grass with or without the bagger.

I don't cut when the grass is wet. It has been very wet this year so there is more moisture in the grass but it's perfectly dry when I cut. I was hoping to hear from other x590 owners to see if they have the same problem.

mjneiner

Forum Newbie
Threads
I don't have a mulch kit, just regular blades. Thanks for the reply.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm not a x590 owner but I've had JD's with the combination side discharge/mulching blades that were terrible for build up. The x350 I now have has hi lift blades and it will tolerate the worst conditions before much if any build up.

The mower with the combination blades that had build up, I found the deck wash works best when I drop the deck completely down on a piece of 1/4" plywood. That mower's deck came with baffles inside the trailing edge which I removed and that helped tremendously.

mjneiner

Forum Newbie
Threads
They are regular blades and I've tried the wash port but it doesn't seem to do anything. It discharges ok but I do notice a lot of buildup at the output opening on the inner left side. Next time I replace the blades I will look into higher lift to see if that helps. Thanks for the reply.