Troybilt Pony wont start

bule84

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an older Pony, 17.5 HP, 8 speed. When I turn the key nothing happens, I first thought it was one of the safety switches. But today, I turned the key on, sat on it, pushed in clutch and jumped across the starter solenoid and it started right up. Does that mean I have a bad key switch or could it be a loose ground somewhere? any guidance on what to look for would be appreciated. I do have meter, so can check whatever suggestions there are

MowLife

Threads
Could be any that you mentioned. I would start at the solenoid...make sure you are getting voltage to it when key is in starting position. If it’s a 2 tabbed solenoid, then one wire is a ground and other goes to key switch. Pull off wire going to switch at the solenoid and turn key to see if your getting power.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
To avoid a lot of typing below is a general run down of how to test the cranking

The solenoid will have 1 or 2 small wires at it's base.
These are the trigger wires.
If there are 2 one will be + & the other - when the solenoid closes to energise the starter motor
One might be switched or both might be switched.

There are subtle differences but basically all work the same.
A power feed wire come off the hot terminal on the top.
This goes to a fuse then to the various switches & back to the + trigger at the bottom
Circuit is
Fuse to B on ignition switch
B to S on ignition switch
S to PTO ( safety switch or electric PTO switch )
PTO to brake / clutch switch
clutch switch to solenoid.

This is a 12V + circuit so you can test it with test lamp hooked to a ground, or a mulitmeter measuring volts.
Back probed by stuffing the electrode up the back of the plug.
It will be helpful to grow a 3rd & 4th hand or make a short jumper with a spade at each end.
Once you have confirmed that the ignition switch is working, pull the plug off the back and jump the plug which will save you having to turn the key to S every time

It is prudent to remove the blower housing and remove the kill wire from the magneto because if you accidentally send 12 V down that wire for the briefest period you have fried the chip in there

Most safety switches are double switches which have a power side and a ground side
When looking at the switch the pairs are flat to flat not edge to edge.

Basic wiring information can be found in a Briggs book called the repower guide which should be in every ride on owners shed https://www.vanguardengines.com/content/dam/briggsandstratton/na/en_us/Files/FAQs/alternator_replacement.pdf

bule84

Forum Newbie
Threads
thank you for the info, that gives me some things to try. Will try these in the morning. I just found a great deal on a TB zero turn, so want to get the old one working right to sell!

bule84

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the input. Long story short, it was the safety switch connection at clutch, it had worked loose and was not making contact