Mower sucking all power

CoKohler

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Folks,
I have a Craftsman GT 22.5HP V-Twin Kohler Command
Had some starting problems, but it seems to be starting and running fine now after 2 new spark plugs, new battery and new fuel filter.

It drives fine - I can put the transmission control all the way forward and it takes off and goes. No apparent power issue.

However, engaging the mower puts a huge load on the engine. Slows it down considerably and even with the transmission control low and on bare ground it just crawls and struggles and nearly stalls. It seems the mower is pulling way to much power.

I've pulled the drive belt off of the engine pulley. The blades turn with no binding/grinding/etc. Smooth, but stiff. I don't know how hard they should turn - seems with the belt off the engine they should almost freewheel, not?

I've put the front on ramps and looked under the deck - it's not loaded up to any significant extent that would interfere with the blades.

I've looked in the manual - didn't see anything about lubricating the mower spindles.

I've also run the mower with the belt off and engaged/disengaged the mower clutch. No apparent issues.

Any ideas?
Thanks!

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Post model number from under seat, spindles need to be greased.

CaptFerd

Threads
Blades have a brake on them. Best to remove the deck and belt completely. pull the brake back from each pully and the blades should spin freely. If not the bearings are most likely froze up causing your engine to bog down when the deck is engaged. Being that bad Im surprised the belt isn't smoking. ?? Other things to consider (if the deck is ok) would be a problem with the governor not working properly or if its been setting for a while a gummed up dirty carburetor.

MowLife

Threads
Being a twin...make sure both cylinders are firing. Sometimes a twin sounds fine by ear until a load amplifies a misfiring cylinder.

CoKohler

Forum Newbie
Threads
I pulled the belts - which seem to tight, but there's no way to adjust. Part number on belt is correct. Spindles spun fine with belt off.

Also drained all the gas and put fresh in. Ran some carb & choke cleaner through it and adjusted the throttle stop for a few more RPM. Still gutless, but got me through the yard taking 1/3 of a cut and real slow.

CoKohler

Forum Newbie
Threads
Being a twin...make sure both cylinders are firing. Sometimes a twin sounds fine by ear until a load amplifies a misfiring cylinder.

How would I do that? Should I see a difference with an hour or so on new plugs?

MowLife

Threads
How would I do that? Should I see a difference with an hour or so on new plugs?

While it’s running pull one plug wire off at a time...if there is no difference then it’s not firing correctly...if engine runs like crap it’s a working cylinder. Another easy way is to start it cold and make sure both exhaust pipes at each head get hot...splash a bit of water on it and you will know.

CoKohler

Forum Newbie
Threads
While it’s running pull one plug wire off at a time...if there is no difference then it’s not firing correctly...if engine runs like crap it’s a working cylinder. Another easy way is to start it cold and make sure both exhaust pipes at each head get hot...splash a bit of water on it and you will know.

Doh ... of course.
And good call. It's only running on the right cylinder.

Going to take a closer look at the wires & coil. Any other ideas?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Doh ... of course.
And good call. It's only running on the right cylinder.

Going to take a closer look at the wires & coil. Any other ideas?
If you have spark, remove the valve cover and take a peek.