Upgrade the rear OEM wheel

JT3

Forum Newbie
Threads
1st post! I have a Yardman self propelled mower that I purchased a few years ago. I was mowing the grass the other day and noticed that the wheels where made out of plastic and had lost a good percentage of their tread and decided to replace them. I didn't want to replace them with the same plastic wheels, I wanted a rubber wheel that would get more traction. My mower is front wheel propelled, so the rear wheels move freely. They are about 11.5 in. diameter, my replacement wheel is 12in. diameter. Both of the hubs are the same diameter, 1/2in. The problem that I've ran into is that the wheel stud is to short, my new wheels are about 1/2in. wider at the hub. The wheel studs appear to be welded in place, I could be wrong on this. So, I looked into extending the wheel stud with a round coupler and have found no information about whether this is a practical solution. So, my question to the knowledge of the forum is, am I going about this the wrong way or has anyone else encountered this, and how did they resolve it? Thanks for any and all information.