Has anyone installed a winch and/or a toolbox on their Zero turn?

Pete6114

Threads
  • / Has anyone installed a winch and/or a toolbox on their Zero turn?
I'm cutting grass for a Farmer friend of mine with a lot of acreage and am using his IS5100Z. With all the rain we had, i been getting stuck more often then i think is funny and find myself walking back to get my truck, so i can pull myself out. Luckily i have been able to get to the stuck mower so far, but there are places i couldn't get into with a pickup. Been thinking of installing a removable winch that can be used at the front or the back of the mower, depending on which way i'm facing and where a tree or fence post is. Also thinking of permanently installing a tool box to store the winch in.
Looking for ideas, tips and pictures.

Pete6114

Threads
I'll be the first apparently, and will be posting pictures on my progress, but i cant move forward till the mower owner buys a winch to figure out how big the base needs to be.

Code54

Threads
Change the tires - Carlie 101's or something similar will help a TON. Wont get stuck 1/10 as often and save the hassle of winching.
I changed tires on our Ferris from the factory tuff tires to a more aggressive tread and it made a HUGE difference.

Pete6114

Threads
Change the tires - Carlie 101's or something similar will help a TON. Wont get stuck 1/10 as often and save the hassle of winching.
I changed tires on our Ferris from the factory tuff tires to a more aggressive tread and it made a HUGE difference.
We've talked about doing that, but that idea seems to have Peter'ed out. Had a flat and realized it just a little to late which chewed the tire up. It was replaced with another turf tire. Not my call, but he ( the owner) asked me if i can rig up a mount for a winch, and that works for me too.
There's a few acres of his i cut away from the main areas about 2 miles from where the starting point is and my truck is parked. Some of those places are so waterlogged and soupy that i plow right through them full speed. Although better tires for the job would be of much help, a winch onboard is the cat's miow, as long as it reaches a tree or post.
Can you snap a pic of your tires for me please?

Code54

Threads
IMG_4286.jpg
This was right after mowing in the rain (not really a lawn, more of a field that is missing a lot of grass)

We've talked about doing that, but that idea seems to have Peter'ed out. Had a flat and realized it just a little to late which chewed the tire up. It was replaced with another turf tire. Not my call, but he ( the owner) asked me if i can rig up a mount for a winch, and that works for me too.
There's a few acres of his i cut away from the main areas about 2 miles from where the starting point is and my truck is parked. Some of those places are so waterlogged and soupy that i plow right through them full speed. Although better tires for the job would be of much help, a winch onboard is the cat's miow, as long as it reaches a tree or post.
Can you snap a pic of your tires for me please?

Pete6114

Threads
Thanks for the Pic. That does look aggressive.

Pete6114

Threads
Got it all done but was in a hurry to get the mower back to the owner. I'll post a few pics next time i have it.

DK35vince

Threads
They look like they'll go through anything.
Mostly made a HUGE difference on hills.
The stock turfs I took off were useless on hills.

Attachments

• HPIM1660.JPG
    HPIM1660.JPG
    244 KB · Views: 12