Broken valve washer Is the engine toast?

Space

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all,
Just joined the forum
I have an OHV B&S generator that had stopped running last year
I decided to dig in as the the weather has gotten better
I replaced the plug added new gas replaced carb checked for spark still nothing
Eventually I lifted the valve cover and notice the washer that compresses the spring on the intake was missing i located it (partial) within the valve casing
My question is:
1 is the motor toast?
2 can just the washer be replaced?
Thank you for your time
T

Romore

Threads
You will need to remove the head to reinstall the keeper and likely find it and the piston badly damaged.

Space

Forum Newbie
Threads
You will need to remove the head to reinstall the keeper and likely find it and the piston badly damaged.
Thanks Ro
Not what i wanted to hear but at least i know what to expect
T

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
It would be best to give us your ENGINE model number. some of the briggs OHV have a keeper you dont have to take the head off to put on, but as Romore said there will most likely be some piston/cylinder damage,, so you should take the head off.

Tinkerer200

Threads
I would run a length of 1/4" nylon rope in the spark plug hole with piston down, carefully turn flywheel by hand causing the rope to push and hold the valve up, you will need to pull and hold the valve up as far as you can by hand so rope will get under valve. Replace keeper with new one if slot is wore out which it may be. IF you encounter resistance pulling valve back up, then you will need to remove the head and see if valve is bent or other problems. May or may not be.

Walt Conner