Briggs 400000 / Briggs 126T02 Problems

skinnedknuckles

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good Morning All;
Two dilemmas here, thanks in advance for the advice. I have a Briggs 400000 that had diesel fuel ran through it till the motor shut off. It'll still turn over, so it's not frozen up, but alot of oil/diesel has puked through the exhaust......what do I do?
Got a Craftsman 2800 pressure washer with a Briggs 126T02, the pump isn't putting out much pressure. It's always had pump saver run through after use, and a visual doesn't show anything.
I wrench Harley's and am in uncharted territory..... just trying to help a neighbor out. Thanks,and Happy Trails

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The diesel issue is minor, drain as much as you can from the carb, pull the plugs and crank the engine and blow out any extra oil/diesel. Make sure the oil isn't contaminted with diesel, of it is change. then add gas, and see it you can get it started. May have to install new plugs, but should start and smoke until you get the diesel/oil burned from the cylinders, intake, and muffler.

The pressure washer could be an issue with the unloader valve, but a damaged outlet check valve can also cause issues. Also make sure that the soap nozzle isn't installed in the gun.

skinnedknuckles

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for the reply/advice. I talked with the owner who had done all the purges you listed, also flushing the fuel tank and lines. They ran a tank through it.smoked the whole time. I didn't know all this at my 1st post When I cranked it the smoke was heavy and oil came freely out the exhaust. I ran it til it ran me off. We're handy and would like to repair it as opposed to a new unit. We realize this is a ling distance diagnosis, your feedback would be really appreciated.

MowLife

Threads
It may take some time to get the diesel burned out of the muffler.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thank you for the reply/advice. I talked with the owner who had done all the purges you listed, also flushing the fuel tank and lines. They ran a tank through it.smoked the whole time. I didn't know all this at my 1st post When I cranked it the smoke was heavy and oil came freely out the exhaust. I ran it til it ran me off. We're handy and would like to repair it as opposed to a new unit. We realize this is a ling distance diagnosis, your feedback would be really appreciated.

Have you checked the oil as suggested previously ?
and what colour is the smoke ?
Does the volume of smoke vary with the changing of engine revs ?

Romore

Threads
We recently had tthe same issue with a Kohler Command, just keeep running it until the smoke clears and it starts easily. One benefit is any carbon deposits will be cleaned out.

skinnedknuckles

Forum Newbie
Threads
Happy 4Th to All: Sorry to keep flogging this subject. Pulled the plugs really oil fouled, no compression either cylinder. I think the whole top end needs rebuilding. Anyone got a ballpark rebuild vs new, and whats entailed in the former? thanks

MowLife

Threads
You won’t know how much it going to cost till you find where you lost compression. I would do a leak down test to see if it’s valves, cylinders or head gasket causing the loss. You can get a loaner tester from most auto part stores or can buy a cheap one at harbor freight. I think I paid $35 for mine.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
one quick way to at least rule out piston rings is take off the dipstick cap and put your ear next to it and spin engine slowly by hand and on the compression stroke listen for a "hisssssss" coming from the dipstick tube.
you can expect a little air but not alot.

MowLife

Threads
one quick way to at least rule out piston rings is take off the dipstick cap and put your ear next to it and spin engine slowly by hand and on the compression stroke listen for a "hisssssss" coming from the dipstick tube.
you can expect a little air but not alot.

This works only if valves are closing properly and head gasket is good.