Want to buy a used Grasshopper and need advice

sixdogs

Forum Newbie
Threads
Any advice on prices that used front deck Grasshoppers sell for at auction or private sale? My first choice is a low hour, front deck, recent mower in excellent condition. 60"? - 72"?

I've determined that a Grasshopper fits my needs and is a quality product. Maybe a front deck Kubota pre-TIER IV mower would work as well. My purpose is to mow around my long rows of spruce trees plus the few that are scattered in the yard. Most of my lawn is wide open. I now mow 2 1/2 acres with a B7800 Kubota and a Woods rear 7' mower but if I got a nice Grasshopper might do the whole lawn with it. I like the suspension seat and electric deck lift and my first choice is a diesel engine.

My problem is the wide variance of prices I see. Dealers are all over the place and ask way more than they are willing to accept. There are lots of Grasshoppers on lots that don't seem to be selling. That leads me to believe a farm or homeowner auction or private sale would be my best option for an honest price. I don't have to have a mower so am not rushed. I have lots of farm machinery so understand machines and can have horse traded for decades so know that drill. I'm tight with a dollar but will pay up for good stuff and will not chisel an honest seller.

There are some pretty smart guys here so any advice on pricing or models or Grasshoppers would be appreciated. I'm a blank slate and want to learn about Grasshoppers and pricing. Thanks in advance for anything offered.

1mstrb

Threads
Hello there;
I happen to be a commercial operator of 5 grasshopper mowers they are all 900 series .with 72'' and 61'' decks they are very good machines you have asked about price that is a question by itself I have bought mowers with 500 hours on them with 72'' deck say 8 to 10 years old for price range $8500.00 to 6500.00 the 500 hours does not scare me I have a mower with 3600 hours and it runs like it is still new the newer you go the price range is on to the $10.000 range that all depends on the way the mower has been used and looks .I am a real diesel fan great on fuel consumption 1/2 gal per hour verses 1.5 per hour with the gas engine the water cooled engine has a great life span .I have had many air cooled mowers they just dont have the life span .I care for many yards propertys that take 3 to 5 hours to cut the grasshopper is a great mower .on That note if you have plenty of flat land the 72'' deck is the way yo go.But in terrain that is full of dips and uneven land the 72'' will scalp the land . that is why I have stuck with the 61'' it is a good choice I happen to use the rear discharge deck 3561/3761 you will not be disapointed .I ve in Business for 25 years this new rear discharge I have been using now for 8 years and I 'm sold so are my customers I happen to live in Nebraska .I care for 5 cemeteries .70 yards per week the rear discharge goes threw the wet grass in the morning real will no balling up ..I have both decks side discharge they are great easy to care for. I hope that I have helped in some way .Some of the places I have gotten used mowers is from games and parks with the 500 hrs on them they have all the records of service .well maintained .just a thought. also Cemeteries are also upgrading ever year or two. great mowers they may be price happy but well worth the money
Donnie

sixdogs

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello there;
I happen to be a commercial operator of 5 grasshopper mowers they are all 900 series .with 72'' and 61'' decks they are very good machines you have asked about price that is a question by itself I have bought mowers with 500 hours on them with 72'' deck say 8 to 10 years old for price range $8500.00 to 6500.00 the 500 hours does not scare me I have a mower with 3600 hours and it runs like it is still new the newer you go the price range is on to the $10.000 range that all depends on the way the mower has been used and looks .I am a real diesel fan great on fuel consumption 1/2 gal per hour verses 1.5 per hour with the gas engine the water cooled engine has a great life span .I have had many air cooled mowers they just dont have the life span .I care for many yards propertys that take 3 to 5 hours to cut the grasshopper is a great mower .on That note if you have plenty of flat land the 72'' deck is the way yo go.But in terrain that is full of dips and uneven land the 72'' will scalp the land . that is why I have stuck with the 61'' it is a good choice I happen to use the rear discharge deck 3561/3761 you will not be disapointed .I ve in Business for 25 years this new rear discharge I have been using now for 8 years and I 'm sold so are my customers I happen to live in Nebraska .I care for 5 cemeteries .70 yards per week the rear discharge goes threw the wet grass in the morning real will no balling up ..I have both decks side discharge they are great easy to care for. I hope that I have helped in some way .Some of the places I have gotten used mowers is from games and parks with the 500 hrs on them they have all the records of service .well maintained .just a thought. also Cemeteries are also upgrading ever year or two. great mowers they may be price happy but well worth the money
Donnie

Great advice and thank you. I needed something to mow under lots of branches in my yard and used mowers are hard to come by. I'm trying to find a low hour 725 diesel with 72" deck and will buy it when I find it. If not, I'll buy a new one when the dealers clear out for winter and cut the price. In the interim, I bought a 723 with a bagger and 400 hours from a neighbor for a good price. It works because I do the odd stuff with that and the big areas with my 84" pull type Woods. I bought it right so a sale will be easy. I've removed the bagger since I don't need it. The whole machine looks like new and has had excellent care.

Grasshopper sure does make a great mower and after using this 723 (gas) with 52" deck decided a 72" diesel 725 will do everything I need to do and I can sell my primary Woods 7' mower. Grasshoppers are just good. The big deck will work fine for me since my place is 100% flat. No dips of any sort.

Thanks again.

Jinzo Ningen

Threads
I've been a VERY happy & proud owner of a 1997 721D with a 72" deck. I mow about 5 acres which, like yours, is mostly flat. The 72" makes what once was a time-consuming (3+hr) chore with my old 54" JD a breeze now, taking barely 90mins.! Unlike most mowers out there (specifically 'box store' mowers & tractors), GrassHoppers are commercial grade equipment, and if properly taken care of they should last you for decades. Thankfully, newer GH units don't have the issues with obsolete wheel motors that my 721D had. That was really the only reason I sold it. Well, that and the pain it was to manually jack up the deck for regular blade servicing / replacement. That SUCKED!:laughing: The diesel sips fuel, unlike the thirsty gas units. Fuel price concerns of gas vs. diesel are more than offset by miserly diesel usage, plus the extra torque a diesel offers means less engine bog down when going through wet and/or very tall grass. It may cost a little more but I think you'll be very happy. I know for me it was money very well spent.

carcat

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, new here, but wanted to get in on this. We just bought a 2015 623T with 52" Powerfold deck and 77 hours runtime for $5500.00, plus tax. Drove 6 hours to get it. Why? Because we've had such good results with the old Grasshoppers we've been using! Even the 1997 616 we had to weld in new metal around the blades (rusted) and patch a hole. Previous owner had glued a rubber mat to the deck and carried a sprayer tank with weedkiller on it, I think 20-25 gal. These suckers are tough! The hydrostats (geminis) were going ok, with 1300 hrs? Just getting ready to sell our 618 with 1200? hrs, and 52" deck. Hydos a little weak, but changing the fluid helped. Still maneuvers and mows fine. 's On fuel use---we mow 2+ acres of cars, tractors, fruit trees, buildings, farm implements---in about 3 1/2 hrs, and use 1 1/2 - 2 gals. of gas. I think that's pretty good. I would take 8 hrs with my JD 46" cut tractor-style machine, and 2 refuels.

NorthBama

Threads
I agree those Grasshoppers are a beast. Wish I had one but for the time being i will use my 12 year old Toro Z Master