I think its dead now...

Hal12

Threads
Ref;

https://www.lawnmowerforum.com/show...-for-Dixon-361-ZTR-Engine-mod-283707?p=303201

This is what happens when I start the mower from the last time I ran it...

Used to be..Would have to turn the basket on top of the engine to get it unstuck...loosen up. Then it would turn over..When it finally started to catch, it throws out black smoke, runs rough and then after about 20 seconds, it smooths out..runs great. Shut it off and it starts right up..runs smooth.

Now..throws out black smoke, runs rough and will not smooth out..Oil seeping out of the tube breather that goes from the carb to the air cleaner.

Oil stick shows good reading when engine runs like before...Now, Oil shows up and down the stick 3 or 4 inches...Does not line up between add and full marks...

I guess if its shot, I'd like to know what the problem is..valves? stuck choke?
thx..

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Repairable, yes. Two things bad. Carb needs to be rebuilt and head gasket needs to be replaced.

Hal12

Threads
I put a kit in the carb not that long ago....Think I'll go with the head gasket..See what happens..

thx guys...

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
When you have oil level fluctuations of 3 to 4 inches, I'd work on the carburetor first if you're only going to do one.

Tinkerer200

Threads
When you have oil level fluctuations of 3 to 4 inches, I'd work on the carburetor first if you're only going to do one.

As said above, fact that you "just put a kit in carb" does not mean it is working OK. Sounds like gas is leaking thru leaking carb float needle and contaminating/over filling oil.

Walt Conner

Hal12

Threads
As said above, fact that you "just put a kit in carb" does not mean it is working OK. Sounds like gas is leaking thru leaking carb float needle and contaminating/over filling oil.

Walt Conner

Ordered a needle/seat kit...Be interesting to see if that plus the head gasket puts the engine back in shape..

Tinkerer200

Threads
Ordered a needle/seat kit...Be interesting to see if that plus the head gasket puts the engine back in shape..

When you have a chronic problem with fuel leaking through carb despite putting in a new carb kit, best thing to do is install a manual gas line shutoff valve and use it.

Walt Conner

MowLife

Threads
You definitely have a needle seat leak to the crankcase. Explaining why you have to manually spin engine at first..your combustion chamber is full of fuel from the leak. The fuel in the oil confirms the problem. Your on the right track getting a needle and seat. Also check that your fuel tank is venting...pressure build up can flood the carb as well. And if you don’t have a fuel shut off in your fuel line you should get one. Turning fuel off after each use will eliminate the fuel pressure on the carb when not in use. Nothing really points towards a bad head gasket to me. Flush your crankcase with new oil to get all that fuel out .

Hal12

Threads
Have a shutoff under the gas tank...It's off now with the carb off..and I will start using it after each mow. Thanks for the answer to the frozen engine problem..I'm fortunate I drained the oil the other time the dip stick showed the high level..can't believe I didn't smell the gas..It's drained now and I will flush it with fresh oil...Its hard to see that little bit of pressure by the float being enough to push the needle up into the seat...and not leak out..It was working intermittently..Maybe some small obstruction, dirt etc..Yeah, don't know about the head gasket..Looks kinda smashed..but I don't see any residue other than carbon...I had pulled the head a few years back..manual said to..to check for carbon buildup..Taking off the head this time I noticed the bolts weren't tight enough...
The gasket had no sealant on it...will the new one require it? It's metal gasket...thx hal12