Belt Tension Mower Deck Drive Belt

JearBear

Forum Newbie
Threads
I cannot find the correct tension for the Mower Deck Drive Belt on my Ferris Evolution Model 5900779 with 48" Deck EVKAV2748

I have just replaced the mower deck drive belt because the original belt would not stay in the pulley groove properly. The belt would turn 90 degrees which would make the belt tension assembly vibrate rapidly. I have just installed the new belt (no small task for an old fat guy) and broke in the belt following the owner's manual instructions. I mowed for about fifteen minutes and checked the belt. It seems to have excessive vibration or slack in the longest free-space between the mower deck drive pulley and the front stationary pulley. I believe the belt tension has been too loose since first assembled and caused the original belt to fail.

I removed the belt and checked all the pulleys and related hardware for loose or worn parts. I found no problems so I checked the drive belt and determined it was worn because it would fit deep within the pulley grooves.

This mower is used infrequently and then only to trim around my house, trees, and fenced area of a small backyard.

I use this mower mainly to pull a small sprayer, using the 12volt battery of the mower to power the sprayer pump. I also use it to ride around my properties checking the conditions of various things or to use it as a slow 4 wheeler. I like being able to sit or stand while operating but I have never been able to drive a straight line for any distance due to the quickness of the drive levers and cable action.

The mower was purchased new four or five years ago and currently has 43 hours on it currently. I estimate that the mower drive belt has less than 15 hours of use. My Ferris dealer is a three-hour drive away so I service my Ferris mowers myself.

Would you please provide me the proper way to determine the correct belt tension?

mountaincut

Threads
I cannot find the correct tension for the Mower Deck Drive Belt on my Ferris Evolution Model 5900779 with 48" Deck EVKAV2748

I have just replaced the mower deck drive belt because the original belt would not stay in the pulley groove properly. The belt would turn 90 degrees which would make the belt tension assembly vibrate rapidly. I have just installed the new belt (no small task for an old fat guy) and broke in the belt following the owner's manual instructions. I mowed for about fifteen minutes and checked the belt. It seems to have excessive vibration or slack in the longest free-space between the mower deck drive pulley and the front stationary pulley. I believe the belt tension has been too loose since first assembled and caused the original belt to fail.

I removed the belt and checked all the pulleys and related hardware for loose or worn parts. I found no problems so I checked the drive belt and determined it was worn because it would fit deep within the pulley grooves.

This mower is used infrequently and then only to trim around my house, trees, and fenced area of a small backyard.

I use this mower mainly to pull a small sprayer, using the 12volt battery of the mower to power the sprayer pump. I also use it to ride around my properties checking the conditions of various things or to use it as a slow 4 wheeler. I like being able to sit or stand while operating but I have never been able to drive a straight line for any distance due to the quickness of the drive levers and cable action.

The mower was purchased new four or five years ago and currently has 43 hours on it currently. I estimate that the mower drive belt has less than 15 hours of use. My Ferris dealer is a three-hour drive away so I service my Ferris mowers myself.

Would you please provide me the proper way to determine the correct belt tension?
I have this model mower and had a similar belt problem as well. The correct tension for the belt is determined by measuring the length of the tensionizer spring (not including the hook ends). The correct spring length should measure 7" - 71/4". I obtained this information from Ferris before they were sold. I do observe some belt vibration but the belt has remained in place and I have used the same belt for the last 400 +/- hours.

If you continue to have problems with the belt shredding and rolling you may need to replace the spindle bearings. Rumor was that there were some spindles for that model that had defective bearings.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Last edited: