start & quit

gregjo1948

Threads
I have a Briggs 094332 0114 B1 that starts up, runs 15 seconds, then dies. I've cleaned it about 10 times with a cleaning wire and soaked it for 2 days. I stole another carb off a mower and it does the same thing. Cleaned the tank and installed a new fuel line. Any ideas????? I'd buy a new carb but, this one isn't made anymore. thanks, gregjo1948

Russ2251

Threads
Does it exhibit the problem when gas cap is removed?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Have you changed the float needle and seat? Part number 398188. Plus you must set the float either level or slightly rich. Also should replace the carb to intake manifold gasket.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
By any chance does this engine have a low oil shutdown system?

Those are the same symptoms I encountered on a Tecumseh generator engine when the oil was about midway between low and full on the dipstick.

gregjo1948

Threads
Have you changed the float needle and seat? Part number 398188. Plus you must set the float either level or slightly rich. Also should replace the carb to intake manifold gasket.

I have not changed the needle, seat, and float but, the float is plastic with no holes/leaks and the needle is operating as it should. There is no adjusting the float on this carb. I haven't changed the gasket as original is fine but, I'll try it anyhow.

gregjo1948

Threads
By any chance does this engine have a low oil shutdown system?

Those are the same symptoms I encountered on a Tecumseh generator engine when the oil was about midway between low and full on the dipstick.

That's a good thought but, the only shutdown on this engine is throttling back to completely idle and it then grounds out the coil.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A good looking float, needle, and seat does not mean they are operating properly. If the seat has swelled, which is very common over time, the needle may be closing prematurely and causing a lean running condition. The needle and seat need to be replaced, plus unless you know how to alter the float to get it to operate properly, you will need to replace the float. I’ll bet if you removed the carb and turned it upside down you will see that the float is 1/8-1/4” higher on the nonpin side which means a lean operating condition.

gregjo1948

Threads
I need to clarify the "start and quit". I failed to say that I spay gas or starting fluid into the carb and it will run until that fuel is burned, then quits. The bowl is full of gas.
Even if the float sticks and restricts gas from entering the bowl, shouldn't the engine run until the gas is used up from the bowl?