Fixed my Turf Tiger Fuel Pump Relay (I hope) Now I have a Question about other relay.

3jakes

Threads
  • / Fixed my Turf Tiger Fuel Pump Relay (I hope) Now I have a Question about other relay.
2012 Turf Tiger ~700hours
STT61V-791DFI Serial G5100481
Have for a year been having intermittent crank no start.
Sometimes when turning key to run position, I could hear fuel pump cycle, & the mower would start.
Once started, the mower would run for hours till I shut it down.

Sometimes when turning the key to run position, I could not hear the fuel pump run, & the mower would not start.

At first, it usually started after a few tries, so I lived with it. But over the course of a year, the problem got worse & worse.
For the last month, I attached a test light in line with the fuel pump so I could see if voltage was being sent to the pump.
(Light on, fuel pump runs, mower starts. Light not on, fuel pump is quiet, mower crank no start.)
It's the relay says I!!!

Took a while to locate it. It lives behind the battery under the radiator.
But funny thing, it looks like there are maybe two relays.....
Without taking things apart, I went to the dealer & picked up a fresh relay.
While there, I say, "hey, it looks like there are two relays. Do they both work in tandem or what?
Nope, they say, only one relay.......
I come home with the single relay.

I look at the job, & for better access, I remove the battery & battery tray & set aside.
Now I take the relay off & sure enough, there are a pair of identical relays.
Only one of the relays had the red with blue stripe wire that matched the fuel pump hot wire, so fingers crossed, I replaced that one.
Put it together, started it up, test light shows good, mower starts, & restarts so seems repaired.
Now my question.
Anybody know what the other relay is?
It's stamped with identical markings. 5 pin, has a total of 7 wires running to it, & one wire jumpers between the two relays.
I'd appreciate any insight.
Thanks.

3jakes

Threads
  • / Fixed my Turf Tiger Fuel Pump Relay (I hope) Now I have a Question about other relay.
Ok,
I've spent a little time looking over that spaghetti. (electrical schematic)
The second relay I was referring to is labeled the "main relay". Looks like it supplies voltage to the starter.

So my concern is, since that relay has cycled the same amount of times as the fuel pump relay which I replaced,
Is that relay "just about worn out" as well?
How will the mower act when it quits working?