11 HP B&S governor not working

snozkc

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all,

I'm new to the forum and wanted to see if anyone had any ides on what I'm seeing. I was given an old John Deere lawn tractor by my sister. I have it running now. The issue is that it revs through the roof at much above idle. I've checked the the carburetor linkage and it's all setup correctly. I've set the governor as per instructions I've found on the inter webs. What I'm seeing is that the governor lever doesn't move back and forth automatically due to throttle level changes. I would expect it to rock back and forth in response to a change in throttle and load. I get none of that.

It's an old motor (253707 0155-01). Do any of you have any ideas on the next steps I should take?

Thanks,

-Ethan

Romore

Threads
If you have set the static adjustment correctly the only thing left is to remove the engine sump and inspect the gear and shaft.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Here is a service manual for your engine. I would double check carb linkage, throttle control linkage, initial carb setup, and governor setup, using the steps outlined in the manual. Many times web videos miss steps or assume you did certain things at certain times, but you know everything on the Internet is absolutely true. https://doc-04-5o-docs.googleuserco...253/*/0B6NaqjIxWV1ycG8wd0s3Z2Q2X00?e=download

snozkc

Forum Newbie
Threads
Many thanks Romore and Rivets.