Hydraulic Oil

djg618

Threads
I've got a second hand Howard Price 360Z Zero turn mower and the previous owner never changed the hydraulic oil.

The manual calls for 20W50 Hydraulic oil which is kind of hard to find. I've found 20W50 Motor Oil, but not Hydraulic.

Any suggestions? Also any idea o9n what filter that mower takes? The manual doesn't say.

Thanks

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Not sure exactly on the drive type that you have on your mower, but the hydrogear standard oil is a 20w50 motor oil.

djg618

Threads
Thanks for all the replies and links. I had a lengthy reply typed when my laptop shut down. So now I'll be brief and hope you get my point.

The link goes to a Stens filter which says it replaces a Howard Price (HP) 6033. Not sure where that number came from. It's different than that stated on parts list.
Also, Stens is 25 micron and HP is 10 micron. Not a big difference, just want to make sure it fits.

I'm still looking for a local source of the 20W50 Hydraulic Oil. None of the local auto parts stores carry it. Any ideas?

Thanks

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Full Synthetic

Hydrogear doesn't use synthetic oil, and but you can use it if you want. they didn't even say you could use it until the last 2-3 years, I don't think the hydro-gear branded oil is even a blend.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The tech who does the tranny repairs for me said to put full synthetic in all of them no matter what the age
So that is what they get

djg618

Threads
I'm confused, now. I called the local farm store that sells zero turns and he said they use 20W50 MOTOR OIL and not HYDRAULIC OIL. What's the difference? Will regular oil hurt the transmission? Also on the Stens filter, anyone know where the HP 6033 number comes from?

dfbroxy

Threads
Just so you know the three giving you advice are some of the best in the field of mower tech and repair. So follow their advice and you wont go wrong. BUT if your a stickler for detail and want hydrolic oil then check a tractor dealer.

djg618

Threads
Just so you know the three giving you advice are some of the best in the field of mower tech and repair. So follow their advice and you wont go wrong. BUT if your a stickler for detail and want hydrolic oil then check a tractor dealer.

Oh NO, NO! I'm not ignoring their advice. I'm sure they know their business. I just don't understand their replies.

Is 'Hydrogear' the brand of hydraulic parts in a Howard Price mower? The HP service manual doesn't actually state using Hydraulic oil. I just assumed it was better for the unit. Has more additives? Just trying to educate myself with all the questions.

I can't afford repairs so I'm just trying to protect my investment.

Thanks