Substitue for Kohler spark plug

nbpt100

Threads
The Kohler spark plug the XT6 series engines take is a Kohler #14 132 11-S1. When I go to my various local auto parts stores they do not carry Kohler branded plugs.....they come up with a slew of substitutions. I don't mind a substitute if it is basically the same specs, heat range included. I know stores will x-ref to plugs with the same threads and basic physical size but other features may be different.

My on line research shows a few people are using as a substitute the following two plugs:
Champion RA8HC
NGK DCPR6E

From the part number you can see the heat ranges are different. One is an 8 while the other is a 6.

Can anyone confirm if one of these substitute spark plugs are direct replacements or do you know of another that is a direct replacement for this Kohler speced plug? Thanks.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Not sure about the champion, but the NGK number is a direct replacement.

nbpt100

Threads
I just got this from a reliable source. The RA8HC is also a direct replacement. With Champion the higher the number the hotter the plug while with NGK it is the lower number is the hotter heat range.

If brands are using different scales, is there some way to compare heat ranges between brands? If I have two plugs in my hand I can compare all of the dimensions and get a good idea of which runs hotter or colder. But when you dont have that at your disposal is there some reference chart that will specifically address heat range? I know there are x-ref charts on line but from what I can tell they play it loose with heat range. Just because a plug physically fits, it does not mean it is an ok choice.

Russ2251

Threads
Apples and oranges....
Both plugs are the same heat range (just different representative numbers) and are absolutely interchangeable.
An AC plug will have a different number again.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I use this site to cross refference plugs https://www.sparkplug-crossreference.com/
Note that heat ranges overlap.
Champions tend to be coarser than NGK's

Other than that there are a lot of charts on the web comparing the heat ranges of different plugs.
The Stens & Prime Line web pages both have charts of spark plug applications.

All of the spark plug companies have decoding tables so you can work out what all the letters & numbers mean.

nbpt100

Threads
Thanks! I try to stay with the brand that makes the plug for the Engine manufacturer. It has become obvious to me that Champion makes the plugs for Briggs. Not sure about Kohler. I would lean towards NGK. But I do not know. Anyone out there know for sure?