My Hustler Raptor stopped suddenly and wont start.

elizarrj

Threads
  • / My Hustler Raptor stopped suddenly and wont start.
Hello,

I have a Hustler Raptor with a 21.5 hp Kawasaki engine. My son was mowing and a branch pulled out what appears to be a black ground wire. I put the wire back in where I think it was pulled out from and it started for about two minutes and then the tractor died instantly. When I try to start the engine, the starter just turns the engine but the engine won't run. I hope that makes sense. Not sure what else is wrong. I am attaching a photo of the wires. Any ideas what I should look at next.

John

Attachments

• hustler.jpg
    hustler.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
If those two wires are joined together, you have a direct short to ground. You can't have a power wire and a ground wire connected to the same terminal.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
What is the item I circled in red? Is it a connector that the green wire got pulled out of?

Annotation 2019-06-04 130246.jpg

elizarrj

Threads
The wires are in two separate holes in connector.

elizarrj

Threads
There is a white plugin with a green wire and the black wire that got pulled out. This plugin in plugged into that black box that appears to be connected to a solenoid or whatever that is. Does anyone know what the wire does for the tractor?

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
What's under the electrical tape?

elizarrj

Threads
I used the electrical tape to try to keep the black wire in place. Under the tape is a white plastic plug, where the green cable is plugged into and the black wire is plugged into. That white plastic plug is inturn plugged into that black square thing. I am attaching a better picture. I know I will prpbably have to replace that electrical connection, but not sure what part I'm looking for? Going thru the manuals but can't find any info.

Attachments

• Hustler2.jpg
    Hustler2.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 33

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Your dealer should be able to fix you up with the needed parts if you need any. The solenoid may be damaged as well but you'll be able to find out once you get the wired attached to the proper connection.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The black thing is just the connector for the carb solenoid.
Nothing fancy about it just a solenoid with a plunger that closes off the fuel to the main jet.
Normally closed so if the power is interrupted the engine turns off.
If worse comes to worse you can replace the solenoid with a short bolt 5/8 unf usually but being a Kwaka it could be metric fine or extra fine.
The Molex plug is hard to come by as a stand alone item down here.
but you should be able to get it as a sub loom just don't expect the shop to have one in stock.
Most of the solenoids are polarity sensitive , you won't hurt them if the plug is wired backwards but it won't work till you turn the plug around.
The plug is supposed to be a one way jobbie but most will plug in either way round.