Carftsman mini tiller/cultivator

blendmik

Threads
Greetings,
I have a Craftsman mini tiller/cultivator that usually runs perfect.
This year when I brought it out to start it, the starting cable pulls all the way out but doesn't engage the motor. It has tension, but when it is pulled out nothing happens and it recoils back into the housing ?
Any hints ? Thanks very much.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
fresh gas, spark plug, air & fuel filters,fresh oil, compression with plug removed, check for spark with spark tester

remove recoil starter assembly & inspect all parts.

Last edited:

blendmik

Threads
Thanks Mechanic Mark, but I've done that. I do it every year when I bring it out as preventive maintenance, except for compression test.
This issue is not the running or operation of the motor. The pull cable doesn't engage the clutch at all. You pull it to start it and it pulls al the way out then retracts. It just pulls out and retracts. Thanks

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Since you don’t give us any numbers of engine brands, I’m going to make an assumption that you have a Briggs engine. If I’m correct the problem is probably a starter clutch which has the balls stuck, not allowing the pawls to engage properly. Find your starting system in this manual and follow the directions to repair. https://doc-04-5o-docs.googleuserco...253/*/0B6NaqjIxWV1ycG8wd0s3Z2Q2X00?e=download

blendmik

Threads
Sorry ofr the delay/ The link you sent was perfect/ Thanks