Help! Smoked circuit board under dash on Deere LX255

Ladder107

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Help! Smoked circuit board under dash on Deere LX255
Battery was bad on JD rider. So last time it cut, my dad jump started it and cut grass...ran fine. Went out today and of course it was dead. Jump started with battery from Kubota (not running). Started right away. As I was putting jumper cables back and closing hood on Kubota, smoke was coming from circuit board under dash of rider. A resistor on edge of board was smoking! Shut rider off immediately. What the heck? Checked a couple things, nothing noticeable so tried jump start again. Started instantly. Once again, seconds later that resistor starts smoking. Can’t find anything online as to why. Dealer up here wants $158 for new circuit unit. Can get used one on eBay for about $70. It’s a gamble either way....why did it happen. Put in a new one...and maybe that will fry too? Or, was the circuit just bad due to jumping or age....so replacement will be the answer? The dealer was even sure which way to go...thought that was strange...and they are JD certified!

Btw, put in a brand new battery this afternoon....nothing happens. Can hear a clicking of the relay when tapping the post of the battery with the cable...but when attached, turn key, and the dash lights goes blank and nothing happens. So quite obvious circuit board fried....but again, why did it fry? Good advice would be worth its weight in gold. I have a used board via eBay on its way now....so it’s a $65 gamble instead of $163!